’96 Pathfinder AT wheels and tire choices

96thumper

I like BFG AT KOs but if all-terrain tires were in my future, I would strongly consider Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos or even the Wrangler SilentArmors.

And yes, if you do get the GR2's you lose the "adjustable" suspension feature, but as far as I can tell, that feature proved to be worthless, since it was discontinued after '96. All it means is that the GR2's don't have the [apparently worthless] ability to be valved differently depending on the position of a switch on the dash.

Ok, so the GR2's will physically fit and work no issues? Is there a better strut/shoch out there I should consider? Having nice ride quality is most important but I don't want to break the bank either.

I have just ordered a set of Green diamond retreads (here). I think they are based on the geolander MT. I ordered 5 tires sized 265/75r16 at $170 a piece which is a good price even with the added shipping. I hope they turn out to be a decent tire, even though i pretty much bought them for the embedded bits of carbide. I am a sucker for gimmicks. HA

Is there a better strut/shoch out there I should consider? Having nice ride quality is most important but I don't want to break the bank either.

I have tried to beat the hell out of the GR2s but they have so far held up pretty well.

I like BFG AT KOs but if all-terrain tires were in my future, I would strongly consider Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos or even the Wrangler SilentArmors.

And yes, if you do get the GR2's you lose the "adjustable" suspension feature, but as far as I can tell, that feature proved to be worthless, since it was discontinued after '96. All it means is that the GR2's don't have the [apparently worthless] ability to be valved differently depending on the position of a switch on the dash.

Are the 30x9.50's skinnier then the stock size for an SE wheel? I really really like the wrangler silentarmors, but they have a softer compound and half the life expectancy of the BFG's...havent checked out hte Bridgestone's since Costco has the BFG's for a killer price including installation, disposal, and balancing

Mine has the GR2's, I don't know how old mine are but they are great as of now with 115k on the clock, They are definitely a little on the stiff side...I think you don't always need strut bearings but its recommended, but other members have said any aftermarket ones are crap and to go with the nissan ones for that...

Huh? Lifting it won't increase the clearance between the tire and the spring. That's purely a function of tire size, wheel width and wheel offset. Since gap between the spring and tire shoulder never changes as the suspension moves, 2" is more than enough clearance.

Thanks for that info. It looks almost as if the spring could compress and rub the tire, but I guess not.