Turn signal not working

kburgess

Hi everyone. I just bought my 95 Pathfinder with 108,000 miles on Thursday. I love this truck! Being 13 years old though, it does have a few quirks that I'm finding. I'm sure I'll be back here a lot looking for advice, but to start... I noticed shortly after I took it home that the rear drivers side turn signal was flashing very fast. I figured that the front bulb was probably blown, so I pulled the bulb and found it indeed was burned out. I ran to the local auto place, bought the replacement, and installed it. There, all fixed. Nope! The front one still doesn't flash. Any ideas of what it may be? Thanks!

check to see if the wiring for that front bulb isn't shorted/grounded out somewhere. Just follow the wiring back. It could be also the plug/connect wiring for the bulb is bad. Give it a wiggle while you have your turn signal one and see if there is a change. I have that problem.

Thanks for the tip Cuong. I pulled the housing out and looked it over. It was pretty wet inside and the socket looked pretty rusty. I think it's probably corroded to the point that no electicity is getting through. I'll have to dig in to it further when the weather gets warmer. At least my rear one is still working. It flashes like a strobe light, but it works.

I just had this problem with my '94 except it was with my left side blinkers. Someone had rewired it and it had shaken loose [it being the front headlight], so we fixed the screwed up part and all is well. I think i also had a blown fuse but i don't remember, it was a few weeks ago.

Edited by falconer

It sems that there is a common fault with the indicator lights that are recessed into the front bumper on the Pathfinder's/Terrano's.

Mine constantly played up when I removed the bumper for the body lift and winch mounting projects, or any time the unit has been severley bumped due to rough terrain.

The lamps corrode inside their sockets, which causs them to make no or internittant contact. This is why the other lamps flash rapidly, to let you know there is a blown lamp or similar.

The indicator units are not the most waterproof, something Nissan has missed along the lines, just like the headlamps.

Take some fine sandpaper and gently clean both the lamp; case and lead tip, and the inside of the socket.

Clean out any dusty residue.

With some needle nosed pliers, gently bend the socket's tabs in a fraction, where the lamps click into it, to create a tighter fit.

Apply a liberal amount of silicone contact cleaner to the sockets and lamps and re-insert the lamps.

Test before you re-assemble the units.

A smear of silicone grease on the outer boot where the wires enter the case is necessary too. This prevents water ingress into the rear of the lamp socket.

I hope this helps you as this had happend to me frequently in the past.

I am currently looking at replacing mine with some LED units if I can find any of the right dimensions.

I may have to make some yet. But this is another thread in the making me thinks.