Very Odd Start

Ok guys, this is the first surprise my 02 R50 has thrown at me...this truck has been a Gem in fact my favorite vehicle for the length of my short life! Yes, it has eclipsed the CRX...that being said that is still tough for me to believe I said it!!

THE PROBLEM: Drove my truck for about 12 miles today, 4 stops/starts. After having the truck sit for about 3 hrs while I wash the wifes Alty, then my Pathfinder, and then wax the Alty...I tried to start the Pathy..............it responded by sounding like an 11:1 big block Chevy with very long pauses between turn overs (3) before making the normal cranking speed and sound and starting up. I immediately shut the truck back off and could not get it to do it again. Battery checkes out, terminals are tight with no corrosion, and no lights were left on....this scares me a little as I would guess that the ECU fumbled here.

Please shoot me some ideas on this one!!

Our rodeo would do that when the starter was going out. It would do it VERY intermittently as that we just thought it was a fluke or that the battery was going bad. But then it started getting worse, fast. I don't know much about the VQ pathys but it sounds like the same thing. Or sometimes it would click, click, click, three slow turnovers, then the regular start.

We took it to the dealer and they called us and said they'd been trying it every 15 minutes and that it was fine. But then at the end of the day when they went to bring it to my mom's bf, it wouldn't start for them :P and they had me bring it back the next day for the job. under warranty though.

This has been an intermittent issue with my 02' for over a year. Thought it was the battery, sears claimed my electrical system was fine and my battery (original) was the issue. replaced it with the die hard, and of course, it still happens. That was at least eight months ago. From what i can ascertain, it is consistent with a failing starter. So, i've been waiting for it to finally die and get it over with, but it hasn't. It's odd, can't seem to get it to happen with any predictability.

Well, that's my story, sorry it isn't much help, but your not alone.

Pete

Edited by PDCCD

Definatly sounds like the starter. If you are going to wait for it to die to replace it, be sure to carry a good sized hammer in the back. When it does go, it probobly won't be somewhere convenient. Many times the starter can be brough back to life by whacking the crap out of it while someone else cranks it over. It won't work too many times so when it gets to that point it's definatly time to replace it.

Edited by revgolem

Definatly sounds like the starter. If you are going to wait for it to die to replace it, be sure to carry a good sized hammer in the back. When it does go, it probobly won't be somewhere convenient. Many times the starter can be brough back to life by whacking the crap out of it while someone else cranks it over. It won't work too many times so when it gets to that point it's definatly time to replace it.

Yep, good advice. And it can't hurt to have AAA. It's odd though, how long this has gone at it's present state. Every time i think, well this is it, but it fires up after all. :shrug: It's been well over a year.

Yep, good advice. And it can't hurt to have AAA. It's odd though, how long this has gone at it's present state. Every time i think, well this is it, but it fires up after all. :shrug: It's been well over a year.

This sounds exactly the same!! A few months ago was the first time, but I though that I was just over attentive...but the other day I am damn sure it did it again!! Really weird! A 3/4 ratchet should be plenty to wail away!! Craftsman will help if I take it too far! Lol! :FartExplode-vi:

This sounds exactly the same!! A few months ago was the first time, but I though that I was just over attentive...but the other day I am damn sure it did it again!! Really weird! A 3/4 ratchet should be plenty to wail away!! Craftsman will help if I take it too far! Lol! :FartExplode-vi:

First check the battery and terminals. You should probably get a load test done on the battery. Most of the large autoparts stores have testers and do it for free. If the battery and the terminals check out, just change the starter. If you are a 16 year-old-kid living paycheck to paycheck, you might want to try carrying around a hammer, but the starter is only about $150 at autozone.

If you are a 16 year-old-kid living paycheck to paycheck, you might want to try carrying around a hammer, but the starter is only about $150 at autozone.

I don't think that age is the factor tht makes us all independantly wealthy, but if you think so :tonguefinger: ...well at any rate if this is my only problem, I will replace it when the frequency increases , gets on my nerves, or stops all together!

I get a great deal at Advance Auto on parts, but I just bought Max's front gears and axles, 1 barrel of crude to get there/back (love my path!) and all the new synthetic gear oil to flush and refill the diff....so yeah I'm tapped for a couple of weeks. Advance has a reman for $89.

I don't think that age is the factor tht makes us all independantly wealthy, but if you think so :tonguefinger: ...well at any rate if this is my only problem, I will replace it when the frequency increases , gets on my nerves, or stops all together!

I get a great deal at Advance Auto on parts, but I just bought Max's front gears and axles, 1 barrel of crude to get there/back (love my path!) and all the new synthetic gear oil to flush and refill the diff....so yeah I'm tapped for a couple of weeks. Advance has a reman for $89.

Yeah! :jk: eh, i figure with my AAA i'm good if it happens to fail me (in most cases). I've heard too many horror stories about reman starters and the bitch they cause, so the oem one is a bit pricier. hell, for all i know there's something else going on and i'll replace it and it'll still do it. I've got issues with belt slippage and who knows :shrug: could be an alternator not charging the battery properly. So, i'll wait for now too. Like i've said, this has been going on for a long while now and it always starts...(jinxing myself :suicide: )

If you are a 16 year-old-kid living paycheck to paycheck, you might want to try carrying around a hammer, but the starter is only about $150 at autozone.

:hide:

But what 16 year old kid would have a 2002 pathfinder? :lol:

well chalk me up to the failing starter club here, mines been doing that on occasion for a couple months now, but im lucky i live a couple miles from a starter and alternator rebuild shop thats been there for years and does great work :) prolly only run me 40 to 60 to fix whats a miss with it..i havent checked yet how much a pain is the starter on an 02?