88 pathy reverse lights....not working

nissan4x4

Both of my reverse lights on my 88 pathy do not work checked the bulbs and fuse all fine oh by the way it's a manual 5-speed, i have heard it could be the switch going out but where is it located.

Edited by nissan4x4

It sticks out of the transmission on the passenger side. Climb under near the door, it should be most of the way up the transmission and near the bell housing. Visually check this and the wires going to it, like MWS said. There could be a broken wire or something simple.

Tranny.jpg

You should be able to read a current on one of the associated wires or at the plug when the truck is in reverse (with the ignition on).

On a side note, do you have a body lift? If yes, the issue could be the boot or floor not allowing the shifter to fully move back when in reverse if the shifter or boot hasn't been modified to allow for movement. Mine has been like that for 3 years, so I've gotta pull back slightly. Guess I'm lazy to fix it.

Good luck

as far as i know its all stock accept for old man emu shocks.

Fair enough. If it was body lifted, it will look a couple inches taller than other Pathy's, and you'll see a bit of the frame sticking down below the body under the doors, not to mention lift blocks in places like in the front wheel well just behind the bumper. If not, on to step 2. You're down to checking the wiring, wiggling the plug at the switch, replacing the switch on the tranny if needed, etc. Another thought is, have you had any other stuff stop working, like accessories/lights/etc.? I'm not sure if there is a fuse, or what circuit it would be on, but check all of the fuses in the fuse block under the dash. Nissan had some funny circuits with weird items tied together. That's an easy and free test, if anything.

If they are still dead and money is tight or you can't mess with the wiring for some reason, you could pick up a cheap set of fog/driving lights to mount on the rear for a cheap and easy fix, probably $10-20 and a little time. Been there, done that when on a college student budget and schedule. :D

nothing else has any trouble. and i looked theres on switch sticking out at an angle toward the floor of the pathy then theres one below that comes straight out to the side and there wired together? which one is it?

they aren't the most durable switches made out there.....the "plunger" on it is a spring loaded plastic part. I have had to replace mine twice since I have owned my 1990 5 spd.

Pretty cheap part from the dealership.....somewhat difficult to get a wrench on it due its location....but thats been the only case with me losing my backup lights on my ride.

easier if you can get it up on a lift ( I drove to my buddies shop and they put mine on the rack and we just stood under it and luckily, the last time mine was replaced, the dealership did it and of course

the stupid monkey there only put the new one in finger tight....so it was easy for us to remove it and install a new one....and we put a wrench on it to get it tighter thatn finger tight, but not super tight so it would be next to impossible to unscrew when it possibly goes bad again :)

-Chris