97' Pathfinder, hard to start, no power, surging

SpeedDemon

97' 250k miles

I just changed the timing belt, plugs, etc. After putting it all back together, it took a while to start, had both fuel and spark. Had to crank it

for 20-30 seconds before starting, then would stall. After trying this about 5 times finally got it to run.

Shut it off and it started up again normal as it should.

Once out on a test drive I noticed that power is lacking and acceleration in first gear (auto) to 3k rpms is not smooth, has a

slight surging.

I pull the codes, forget the numbers but one is for the knock sensor and the other is emissions evap system.

Any ideas?

I was wondering if I got one of the cam sprockets a cog off, but I really don't think so.

My first guess would be timing. IF your timing is off it could cause the engine to "knock" hence throwing the knock sensor code. Alot of people think when the knock sensor code comes up it is the actual sensor. That is not usually the case, it means the knock sensor is detecting a knock in the engine so it throws a code. Somebody else should chime incase I am incorrect.

My first guess would be timing. IF your timing is off it could cause the engine to "knock" hence throwing the knock sensor code. Alot of people think when the knock sensor code comes up it is the actual sensor. That is not usually the case, it means the knock sensor is detecting a knock in the engine so it throws a code. Somebody else should chime incase I am incorrect.

Sounds likely. Mostly likely something that I did, like throw off cam timing, super.

definatly sounds like timing, but before tearing back into it i would check out the wiring for the knock sensor. all engines will ping occassionaly. the knock sensor senses these and retards the timing just a bit until it stops. the pcm will throw the code then the timing is as retarted as it will get and it is still pinging more than the predetermined limits. if the sensor is getting false readings and backing off the timing thus causing real pinging.... it can be a viscious cycle. but i wouldnt get too caught up in the sensor.

check your fuel presure. it sounds like it could be a bad presure regulator possibly.

I have AutoTap but I can't get it to connect. I've only been able to get it to work on GM vehicles.

Site says it will work with any 96' or later vehicle.