rear axle swap

big_johnson

Has anyone ever thought of swapping an older 31 spline H233B into an R50 in place of the 33 spline one? It seems like this may be a good idea, since most (all?) of the WD21's have disc brakes in the rear, and have many more locker options available. Would there be any major reason to avoid doing this? How about the ABS still working? This wouldn't be a top priority on my list, but it is something interesting to consider. Any thoughts? :D

what year did Nissan make the switch from 31 spline to 33 spline? Was it when they went to the monoframe (Nissan speak for unibody)? Or are there R50s from 96 or so that have 31 spline axles??

guess the real question would be is the rear suspension (mounts etc) all the same as well as the width of the axle. Like you said, ABS would have to be a consideration if you would like to keep that feature

Um, I have rear drums. Wish I had discs though.

Didn't some older pathys have discs? Or am I totally mistaken? I could have sworn I heard a reference to the discs on older pathys somewhere. :confused:

what year did Nissan make the switch from 31 spline to 33 spline? Was it when they went to the monoframe (Nissan speak for unibody)? Or are there R50s from 96 or so that have 31 spline axles??

I'm 99% positive that the 31 to 33 switch occurred at the same time as the unibody switch, so in 96. I would assume the mounts and widths are similar or identical, because both axles are still H233B's, but with slightly different internals. Maybe 88 or someone knows for sure :D