Takes long to start

SantaCruz163

I noticed recently that when I go to truck my pathfinder it takes longer cranks to get started then usually. There is plenty of juice to turn the engine over, but it just takes more cranks from the starter. Once it gets started it runs great, with 0 problems [knock on wood]. Anyone experience this? Am I just being paranoid?

cap & rotor possibly?

Could very well be, what condition is it in? usually if you take the cap off you can see little burn marks on the underside of the cap. Have you ever replaced the cap and rotor? but then again if they were bad you would think the truck would be running bad all the time and not just at start up

Next time you start the truck after it has been off over night, turn the key to on without starting it, wait a couple seconds, and turn the key off. Repeat. Then start it as normal. If that makes some difference, it could be the fuel pump/regulator (not building enough fuel pressure). Hasn't happened to my pathy, but have seen that in other vehicles, fwiw.

Check valve in fuel pump stuck open and bleeding off pressure when static. Do what BowTied suggested or use a fuel pressure gauge for accurate diagnosis. Let us know what you find out.

Mine started fine when it was warm out and seems to take longer the colder it is...id suspect thats your culprit, but look into what BowTied said just so you can rule that out or catch it early...better to deal with things before they become a problem.

I don't think it's fuel pump related. When I turn the key 'on' I can hear the pump buzzing so it is priming the system and it will fire up. Like I already mentioned, the truck runs great with 0 problems [knock on wood]; no rough idle, spuddering, etc. and it pulls strong through the RPMs. It has been pretty cold lately so that could cause it to take a little longer to start. I'll keep on eye on things but hopefully I'm just paranoid.

Edited by SantaCruz163

I don't think it's fuel pump related. When I turn the key 'on' I can hear the pump buzzing so it is priming the system and it will fire up.

You might be right. The sound you hear does mean the pump is priming the system. That doesn't guarantee that it is getting up to proper pressure at the fuel rails though...

I don't think it's fuel pump related. When I turn the key 'on' I can hear the pump buzzing so it is priming the system and it will fire up. Like I already mentioned, the truck runs great with 0 problems [knock on wood]; no rough idle, spuddering, etc. and it pulls strong through the RPMs. It has been pretty cold lately so that could cause it to take a little longer to start. I'll keep on eye on things but hopefully I'm just paranoid.

The fuel pump may be your problem do not rule it out. Just because you "hear it" does not mean it is 100% good. You say once running everything is normal. If you have fouled plugs or faulty cap/rotor you should be experiencing misfires/rough running under load. What BowTied and I are getting at is the fuel pump is way back at the tank. It takes a while to "prime" the fuel rail with pressure to get sufficent amount of fuel to start you motor. So by turning the key to position 2 and waiting should prime the fuel rail with proper pressure before cranking. Hence my (one way) check valve suggestion. If this is stuck open, every time you shut the car off the pressure drains back into the tank requireing the pump to catch up what it has lost. The one way valve prevents this by not allowing the pressure to bleed back into the tank. A fuel pressure test with a gauge would be the best way to diagnose otherwise the down and dirty way is again before cranking wait or cycle the key several times. I hope this makes sense.