95 Pathfinder buying tips

thepathfinder2

New to the board here. I'm looking at getting a WD21 Pathfinder. I'm wondering what things I should be looking for when considering one of these trucks. I've found a 1995 Pathfinder in SE trim, fully loaded with leather, heated seats, sunroof etc. It has just over 200k km or 130k miles. The engine was replaced at 100k under a recall campaign by Nissan. Anyone know about this recall and where I can find more details? When should I be changing the timing belt and water pump? This truck is a 5 speed. What kind of mileage will I get with it? The tachometer is the only thing is broken. It seems to skip around and come to a complete stop at random times. What are possible culprits and what am I looking at to getting it fixed? Thanks for any advice and I'm looking forward to coming to the boards.

Edited by thepathfinder2

New to the board here. I'm looking at getting a WD21 Pathfinder. I'm wondering what things I should be looking for when considering one of these trucks. I've found a 1995 Pathfinder in SE trim, fully loaded with leather, heated seats, sunroof etc. It has just over 200k km or 130k miles. The engine was replaced at 100k under a recall campaign by Nissan. Anyone know about this recall and where I can find more details? When should I be changing the timing belt and water pump? This truck is a 5 speed. What kind of mileage will I get with it? The tachometer is the only thing is broken. It seems to skip around and come to a complete stop at random times. What are possible culprits and what am I looking at to getting it fixed? Thanks for any advice and I'm looking forward to coming to the boards.

Check the rear frame for rust, check the floor under the gas pedal for rust. If you don't know when the timing belt was last changed, change it anyways. Its cheap insurance.

The only recall I ever heard of on the wd21's was for the exhaust manifold studs.

If you drive your 5 speeds for mileage rather than constantly shifting at like 4k rpm, you'll probably see anywhere from 15-20mpg, thats what I'm getting with my auto right now.

where are you located, that plays a BIG roll in the frame rust factor.

The 95's seem to have trouble with the gauges in general from what i've seen here. But my 95 and 93 both have fully functional clusters.

If you keep up on that maintenance it should last you a very long time with no problems.

We are on the West Coast of Canada so rust is relatively scarce here; at least on the vehicle I've owned. When does Nissan call for the timing belt to be replaced? Also about the exhaust manifold recall, until when is it good for? What tests should I do to check the operation of the 4WD system? How are these trucks in the snow? Do they come with a LSD in the rear? Finally, the truck I'm looking at has the adjustable suspension ie. "sport" and "comfort" settings. How does this sytem work exactly and what things would tell me that the shocks need replacement?

We are on the West Coast of Canada so rust is relatively scarce here; at least on the vehicle I've owned. When does Nissan call for the timing belt to be replaced? Also about the exhaust manifold recall, until when is it good for? What tests should I do to check the operation of the 4WD system? How are these trucks in the snow? Do they come with a LSD in the rear? Finally, the truck I'm looking at has the adjustable suspension ie. "sport" and "comfort" settings. How does this sytem work exactly and what things would tell me that the shocks need replacement?

The timing belt needs to be changed every 168,000 kilometers.

I'm not really sure about the exhaust manifold recall i think it went up to 100k miles I'm not sure though.

When you put the truck in 4x4 you should be able to feel it engage, and if its slippery out, get someone to watch you give it some gas (enough to spin all 4 tires) and see if the front tires spin.

It depends on the model but i think most of the SE ones have an LSD rear, there would be an orange sticker on the diff if it was. They're great in the snow, I should know, im from ottawa.

The adjustable suspension, if it works, great, if it doesn't and the shocks ride like crap, you can only get the replacement ones from the dealer. Or just buy aftermarket shocks and not use the switch.

In the snow/ice/mud/sand these trucks are awesome - never been in a situation I couldn't get out of in daily driving. I've never run a trail though... oh, and mine is mostly factory stock (cept for a good set of all terrain tires)

• 2 weeks later...

My 1995 Path had a new short block put in by the dealer when it had 20,000 miles on it (my 1995 SE-V6 King Cab also got a new short block). It was NOT a recall, they only changed it if you complained about the tapping noise when it was first started when cold as I did. I guess they figured that if they didn't say much they would only have to deal with the people that opened their mouth.

Zack

the adjustable ride system (shocks) works by putting pre-load on the shocks. If you flip the switch to "sport" the truck should feel stiffer...you'll feel a bit more of the road. As for how to tell if they're dead or dying.. if there is no major handling problems to tell you..step on the bumper, hop off and watch how many times the truck "bounces" before stopping (works for both ends) if it goes more than 2 or 3 you should get them checked..

For checking 4x4 - Find a polished concrete parking lot (i went to SuperStore) put it in 4Lo..you should feel the steering get "heavy", turn the steering to one side and give it a bit of gas. The front tires should make a kind of chirping noise. You should also be able to feel the grab from 4x4 pretty easily that way too.

I'm drivin a stock '93 and haven't found anything to stop it..on or offroad.

the adjustable ride system (shocks) works by putting pre-load on the shocks. If you flip the switch to "sport" the truck should feel stiffer...you'll feel a bit more of the road. As for how to tell if they're dead or dying.. if there is no major handling problems to tell you..step on the bumper, hop off and watch how many times the truck "bounces" before stopping (works for both ends) if it goes more than 2 or 3 you should get them checked..

For checking 4x4 - Find a polished concrete parking lot (i went to SuperStore) put it in 4Lo..you should feel the steering get "heavy", turn the steering to one side and give it a bit of gas. The front tires should make a kind of chirping noise. You should also be able to feel the grab from 4x4 pretty easily that way too.

I'm drivin a stock '93 and haven't found anything to stop it..on or offroad.

Concrete + 4wd = NO! Polished or not, that's bad policy. You may end up fine, but you're risking damage. Try a gravel, dirt or snowy road- you need to allow for slip among the tires, meaning one needs to spin faster than others. Concrete has no give, so you're either asking your tires to give way and slip (the "chirping," but different tire styles and brands can react VERY different on concrete), or something in your drivetrain to either bind up or give and break.