transmission swap

indomwe

i am doing it in about 3 weeks and im going to take pics and write up a how-to

from what i understand it is pretty straight foward. pull auto tranny, torque convertor, pilot bearing. replace the rear main since you are there(thats what im doing). install new pilot bearing for a manual and clutch flywheel throwout bearing, and put the manual tranny in. recommend replacing all tranny seals while it is out of the vehicle as well.

run all clutch lines and install petal. there is already a hole in the firewall for the clutch petal to master cylinder. remove the plate. cut down break petal. install clutch damper(mounting holes on firewall already exist on passenger side) and connect to slave cylinder.

where the auto shifter comes through you will have to replace the floor plates with the manual tranny plates.

the tranny mount is slightly different for the manuals so either get the manual tranny crossmember or drill new holes. im just modifying mine.

the only thing is the 93-95 manuals have a speed sensor and the pre 93's have a speedo cable. they seem interchangeable at the tcase but i wont know till i do it. if it doesnt work i will not have a working speedometer

im changing the tranny fluid while i do the swap. make sure to add an extra 1.5 quarts of fluid. total capacity i believe is 5 quarts. im going synthetic as well. you will probably want to get all crossmember bolts b/c they will more than likely sheer. the dealer wants $150 for the crossmember bolts and bellhousing bolts.....sucks but seems the only place to get em at. you need the bellhousing bolts from the manual as they are longer and i think the manual uses 2 more bolts than auto. all the electrical plugs to the auto will no longer be used as well as the tranny computer so you can remove all wiring or just disconnect.

like i said i will be doing it in a few weeks and post a how-to as well as pics

Rich

Edited by pathmaker1

You'll also need to remove the flexplate, get a flywheel and bolt that up in it's place. You can't bolt a clutch set to an auto flexplate.

Lots of hardware stores carry metric bolts and nuts, you can also simply switch to SAE bolts if necessary. I got some UCA spindle bolts for mine at a farm and tractor supply store, lots of tractors use metric bolts nowadays and they're not all little! ;)

thanks 88.....didnt have that on my list. they looked similar but i see now how the auto wont work! i would have forgot that!! what about the bellhousing bolts. i heard that they are special treads produced by nissan and no others will work...

so i just bought a manual tranny a week ago with all clutch lines and petal. got a call from a buddy today who has a FREE rebuilt tranny with less than 1000 miles on it from an 88 that i can have. i just gotta get rid of the vehicle for him. he is going to take the engine only and was nice enough to pull the engine with tranny so it is sitting in his garage!!! he is going to be bolting it upto an auto tranny so everything i need will be on it. SCORE!!! i now have 3 transmissions. it is a good thing since i will have the donor vehicle right next to me in case i forgot something

the manual i got from the JY will be for sale possibly. in VA. if so it will be $300 with cluch lines/petal or $250 for tranny only.

Rich

Coolness!

Metric bolts are all standard sized/threaded...there's no such thing as a "specialty bolt" threaded differently/specifically. I don't think there'd be much point, the cost of the special bolts would be higher than standard ones, etc. There ARE some that are longer than most bolts, like the rearmost body mount bolts on a 90-95, that's about it. You can pick up a cheap bolt sizing template set at Harbor Freight Tools that you can use to tell what the thread pitch is on bolts.

• 2 weeks later...

i will be doing toe same swap but i lucked out and found a pathy with only 156000 kms on it but the frame is completely rotted out so im going to pull the standard and put it into my other truck

nothing beats having the donor vehicle for reference

• 2 weeks later...
thanks 88.....didnt have that on my list. they looked similar but i see now how the auto wont work! i would have forgot that!! what about the bellhousing bolts. i heard that they are special treads produced by nissan and no others will work...

so i just bought a manual tranny a week ago with all clutch lines and petal. got a call from a buddy today who has a FREE rebuilt tranny with less than 1000 miles on it from an 88 that i can have. i just gotta get rid of the vehicle for him. he is going to take the engine only and was nice enough to pull the engine with tranny so it is sitting in his garage!!! he is going to be bolting it upto an auto tranny so everything i need will be on it. SCORE!!! i now have 3 transmissions. it is a good thing since i will have the donor vehicle right next to me in case i forgot something

the manual i got from the JY will be for sale possibly. in VA. if so it will be $300 with cluch lines/petal or $250 for tranny only.

Rich

I just sent you a message about the Manual Tranny.