Did a tune up last night

wheel366

I have had my plugs for about 20k miles. Basically, since I got my new engine. They were NGK and I put in Bosch Platinum 2+. The plug in the back took like 45 minutes to change. When I did get it out, it was cracked. Not sure if I did it or it was like that already. Some of them looked more dirty than others. The cracked one looked clean. But the rest weren't. On left front most plug (Looking at the engine from the front) had a screw down the hole by it. Not under the plug but looks like it fell there after the plug was put in. Not sure if this did or could have caused any problems. That same plug also had something on it but I don't know what it was. I took some compressed air and blew some of the plugs aout before I removed them. I didn't want to get dirt, leaves, etc.. in there. Yes, there were some leaves. Don't know how though.

I still have that misfire sound but it is much less frequent as it was before. When I would give it gas out of gear and bring the RMP's up to around 1800 - 2000 rpms, you could clearly hear the misfiring not it is much much much LESS! I want to give it a full tank of gas before I check mileage.

Sorry to say this but bad call on the Bosch... Ive had Bosch plugs fail several times in my Japanese cars, now I only use NGK

http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/311173

Same goes for Toyota, Nissan, Honda.... dont use that german crap

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen...87-bosch-plugs/

Wires are new. Distributor is about 10k miles old.

You know, I had Bosch Platinums in there before the new engine and I didn't have a problem. With the NGK's I had this annoying misfire sound. Supposedly, it was running to lean. Now, it is much better. We'll see how they are. If I end up hating them, I can always change.

There is a new plug out called Pulstar Pulse Plugs, but they are $25 each. Not ready to take that plung. But maybe a different NGK or another brand.

You know, I had Bosch Platinums in there before the new engine and I didn't have a problem. With the NGK's I had this annoying misfire sound. Supposedly, it was running to lean. Now, it is much better. We'll see how they are. If I end up hating them, I can always change.

There is a new plug out called Pulstar Pulse Plugs, but they are $25 each. Not ready to take that plung. But maybe a different NGK or another brand.

I tried Bosch in my 1.6 Sentra. Bad juju!

The center electrode on the P2's burned up into the ceramic. I've never seen anything else like it. There was nothing left!

The one time I bought "platinum" was the last time I bought into a gimmick plug. Nissans come with NGK, NGK is what goes back in.

NGK V-power plugs are what O'reilly lists as the OEM replacement, along with plain-jane Autolite Resistors (which I've never tried).

I don't mean to dog your choice, but you should keep an eye on them. Were I you, I'd pull at least one every 10k to check for wear.

Bull @!*% to the spark plugs cracking on their own. When you were over tightening em or taking em out you prolly cracked them because of a ****** $1.59 spark plug socket. Nothing wrong with bosch plugs, why do bmw, mercedes, fiat, volvo, and 90% of all european companies run those? Hell, the factory bmw race team run bosch silvers or coppers in the m3's. The bosch platinums are @!*% to use on old cars, dont use them. They were meant to be run on modern engines with modern ignition systems such as coil on plug or distributor-less. If you are having running problems with them, i bet you have a flaw in your ignition or fuel system. This comes from a guy who has been a professional auto tech since i was basically born. I also road race, auto cross, and do the occasional road rally.

Bull @!*% to the spark plugs cracking on their own. When you were over tightening em or taking em out you prolly cracked them because of a ****** $1.59 spark plug socket. Nothing wrong with bosch plugs, why do bmw, mercedes, fiat, volvo, and 90% of all european companies run those? Hell, the factory bmw race team run bosch silvers or coppers in the m3's. The bosch platinums are @!*% to use on old cars, dont use them. They were meant to be run on modern engines with modern ignition systems such as coil on plug or distributor-less. If you are having running problems with them, i bet you have a flaw in your ignition or fuel system. This comes from a guy who has been a professional auto tech since i was basically born. I also road race, auto cross, and do the occasional road rally.

In many cases, the Bosch plug in the German cars isn't necessarily the same one you get over the counter at AutoZone, FYI. Also, none of the Euro cars use the American-market type Bosch Platinums as factory fitment.

In addition, the +2 and +4 are specifically marketed to owners of older vehicles as a way to "increase performance," ha ha.

The problem with Bosch plugs, especially the platinums, is that their insulators and tips are often shaped is a way that makes them very different from conventional plugs and this changes the flow and swirl in the combustion chamber. Often this leads to performance changes (usually for the worse) in engines that were not designed to use that type of plug.

Examples:

1. With the Jaguar 4.2L inline six, if it is in good shape and running properly swapping the plugs from the OEM-recommended Champion RN12YC's to any Bosch plug will cause the car's fuel economy to decrease and the car will no longer pass smog.

2. With the Z31 (84-89 300ZX) turbo cars, fitting Bosch platinums will cause the car to fail smog AND if you get on it you *will* melt the electrodes. Bosch Silvers or Supers work OK, but provide no change in power or fuel economy (proven via dyno).

3. On a Mercedes 190E 2.6, installing regular Bosch Supers (OEM spec) or Silvers causes no problems or issues. Installing the Platinums, of any type, will get you a power and fuel economy decrease and again, the car will not pass smog.

My thoughts on the matter are that unless there is a known problem with the manufacturer's recommended plug, you should stay with that plug as it will usually be the best for your engine.

You know I still have the problem but it has gotten so much better since I replaced plugs and wires. If it gets worse again or I notice a huge decrease in mileage, then I will look into changing the plugs again. I have noticed a slight reduction in mileage already.

Now, let explain. This missfire "sound" is supposedly because I am running lean. Once they blew some gas into the intake to richen up the mixture (not liquid gas, I forget exactly what they used) the sound stopped. I am blaming the reduction of mileage to the system getting the proper amount of fuel now instead of running lean. But I will keep an eye on it. I am the most critical of everyone who has heard this. I end up pointing out things that everyone else misses (or chooses to miss).

I forget what type of wires I am using but I believe they are 7's. They look better than what I had on there and cost about $53 at a discount. I notice that Amsoil sells NGK wires and plugs. A plug set from them is like $112 but around $80 with my discount. The iridium plugs are about $23 each before my discount. MAN, that's expensive!

• 2 weeks later...
You know I still have the problem but it has gotten so much better since I replaced plugs and wires. If it gets worse again or I notice a huge decrease in mileage, then I will look into changing the plugs again. I have noticed a slight reduction in mileage already.

Now, let explain. This missfire "sound" is supposedly because I am running lean. Once they blew some gas into the intake to richen up the mixture (not liquid gas, I forget exactly what they used) the sound stopped. I am blaming the reduction of mileage to the system getting the proper amount of fuel now instead of running lean. But I will keep an eye on it. I am the most critical of everyone who has heard this. I end up pointing out things that everyone else misses (or chooses to miss).

I forget what type of wires I am using but I believe they are 7's. They look better than what I had on there and cost about $53 at a discount. I notice that Amsoil sells NGK wires and plugs. A plug set from them is like $112 but around $80 with my discount. The iridium plugs are about $23 each before my discount. MAN, that's expensive!

I replaced my spark plugs with Bosch twice and they were misfiring both times. I took them back to Advance auto parts which they replaced them for me. I got NGK which is what the truck had and the problem was gone. I say go with the NGK.