Howdy!

ID95PATH

I'm a big Nissan fan who just sold his 78 Chevy 4X4 and is planning on buy a buddy's 95 SE Pathfinder.

Other than frame rot, anything in particular I should look at before buying?

I can get it for $2k w/ approx. 130k miles, 5-spd, and it was his wife's towncar.

It won't become a dedicated off-roader but will need to be capable of hitting the Idaho mountains in all my pursuits.

In my life I've owned an 82 2WD Nissan truck, an 84 Sentra, and a 2000 Frontier 4X4.

Hope to learn lots here!

Welcome,

Frame rot is the biggest, all vehicles over 100k have issues. For 2k with easy miles you should only have the usual maintenance stuff to look at. Might want to see how the front suspension is holding up. Turn hard at low speed listen for pops & stuff.

remember to ask if/when the timing belt has been changed as well, if it hasn't ever been changed, IT'S DUE! asap.

broken studs is another issue but not "life" threatening to a pathy, just annoying.... and a PITA to fix once they snap...

:welcome:

Thanks everyone!

I helped dig it out of a snowbank and took a look today. The only two things I saw were a dent in the rear bumper and the center console is cracked! It fired right up and I heard no rattles. Drove it around in and out of the snow. 4hi and low work fine, the heater blows hot and the ac blows cold.

It's got good tires and I couldn't see any frame rot. We drove it over to a import-only mechanic's place that I trust and left it there so he can give it a look-see for me. If he gives it the green light I'm in business!

The guy is even throwing in a Thule roof rack w/ ski and bike attachments, plus a set of good (i.e. not cable) snow chains.

I've already learned lots here. Like the fact that getting a swing-away spare tire mount from a junkyard won't work...but I see someone built a heavy duty bumper mount version...excellent!

Don't know if the timing belt has been done, so at 131k miles it might need that. I'll look through the maintenance docs and see. Even so, not bad for $2000.

Oh, I'm in Moscow. A good hour and a half from Cabela's (though I haven't been.)

Later!