Please help...

designsbygabby

Ok-I bought an '87 pathfinder 4x4 two weeks ago.. it has 180,000 miles on and only 10,000 on a rebuilt engine... it ran great (after I had the oil changed) for the first 2 weeks.. now it's not doing so great.. while driving something happens and the tacometer drops and the engine loses pressure (?) or something I'm not sure. as the gas is let off it starts to go again and will continue like this until I get home. The other night we took it down to the store and when we came out of the store it wouldn't start at all. Battery was fine, fuel pump was kicking in, clean fuel filter... nothing had it towed home and the next day it started fine.. even drove for a couple more days without any issues but alas it died again.. and ideas at all as to what I need to look at or suggestions-has anybody had this happen to their pathfinder or any vehicle? I'm at a loss.. I was supposed to go to the desert camping this weekend but it's not looking good at this point... :( Please help!! :blush02:

Ok-I bought an '87 pathfinder 4x4 two weeks ago.. it has 180,000 miles on and only 10,000 on a rebuilt engine... it ran great (after I had the oil changed) for the first 2 weeks.. now it's not doing so great.. while driving something happens and the tacometer drops and the engine loses pressure (?) or something I'm not sure. as the gas is let off it starts to go again and will continue like this until I get home. The other night we took it down to the store and when we came out of the store it wouldn't start at all. Battery was fine, fuel pump was kicking in, clean fuel filter... nothing had it towed home and the next day it started fine.. even drove for a couple more days without any issues but alas it died again.. and ideas at all as to what I need to look at or suggestions-has anybody had this happen to their pathfinder or any vehicle? I'm at a loss.. I was supposed to go to the desert camping this weekend but it's not looking good at this point... :( Please help!! :blush02:

It sounds like you may have a flaky fuel pump or maybe your MAF (or what passes for it on the TBI trucks, I don't recall) is heading south.

Have you checked computer codes (and can you on an 87?- sorry, I'm not sure)? If you can, there are instructions in the garage section, its pretty simple. Sounds to me like a computer or electrical issue, something like going into "limp mode"). You mention it ran fine *after* an oil change. Was there an issue prior, or was that change just precautionary?

NO...it's not carbureted. It's TBI injection. Yes, you can run the codes. Search around on the site for the instructions on how to check the codes. :)

What kinda of noise was it making. That is pretty important. Did you change the oil? If so was it low? did you notice any metal shavings? Please keep us updated

I changed the oil because the lifter was making a noise... didn't see any metal shavings and the noise stopped after the oil was changed.

Also the ignition coil was changed, checked the distributor cap, changed the ignition control module (coil ignitor) but the problem is still occuring. Any other ideas?

Definately run the codes. They may or may not show a problem, but if they do you're halfway there. I'd take a good look at your fusible links (the group of wires coming out of the connector on the positive battery post). Very strange things happen when they get flaky. Mine cut off once while taking a left because the battery slid and ripped a fusible link wire out of the connector. Also wiggle the MAF sensor wiring (black box on the drivers side of the TBI) when its running good and see if it sputters or dies. Sounds a lot like an electrical problem to me. I just finished a swap in my 87 and I can assure you, twenty year old wires and connectors are not to be trusted once you mess with them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Check fuel pressure with a gauge. The pump may "kick in" but might not be supplying the engine with enough volume to run the engine under load. Thats the only reason I can think of that would describe what your experiencing "as the gas is let off it starts to go again" You may hear intake "popping" due to the lean mixture.

Also you say "clean fuel filter..." was this just recently replaced? I have seen two rare occurences where new filters had manufacture defects that would allow intermittant blocking (seen this with Fram filters).

When it does not start for you again start with the basics. (I.E. Do you have: Air? fuel? spark? ect.) Good Luck