Vibration in steering between 37 and 50 mph

Guest bwilbourne

Guest bwilbourne

Hello,

I am new to the forum and just bought an 04 Pathfinder, LE 4x4. It has about 250 miles on it and I love it so far. My question and concern is this, At speeds of around 37 mph, I notice a very light vibration in the steering wheel. This seems to occur up until around 50 or so mph. It also seems to be more pronounced when I am accelerating. I am hoping this is just a wheel balance problem, but I have never experienced wheel balance problems at such low speeds before. I also would have thought that coming straight off the lot that the wheels would be balanced correctly. Are there any thoughts on this?

Thanks

depending on how long the pathy sat for, there can be issues with flat spots that form while they sit in lots, at the port, on trucks, etc... There could be a bad belt on a tire, but doubtful if the vibration is very light. More than likely a quick balance by the dealer is all that's needed to correct the issue.

Those 17" bridgestone duellers are very compliant and smooth tires and you really shouldn't have any vibration issues whatsoever - particularly with so few miles on it. Given that it is a minor vibration - as stated above - go back to the dealer.

If you bought it new, they will want to do everything they can to make you happy since you will be receiving a customer sat survey via phone or mail soon... they want you to be happy so that you give a good score. good score for them = more dealer $$ incentives and step programs... bad score = Nissan doesn't give them additional dollars and they are not as competitive in your area...

trust me, they want a good score so they will get right on it is my guess...

Check the lugs also. Sometimes it takes about 100 to 200 miles for the lug nuts to set properly in the wheel, and they can work themselves loose. This is more frequent with aluminum wheels. Just something to check

Could be that the front driveshaft has been installed out of phase and is causing the vibration. They're balanced so that they should be installed in only one position. I have no idea on how to check for proper installation of the front driveshaft, though.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest bwilbourne

I just got my 04 Pathfinder back from the dealership today. They said that the vibration was coming from a loose fan clutch (whatever that is) and so they replaced it. It is still vibrations coming through the steering but not as noticable, but hardly any through the seat now. Most of the vibrations before were when you got the RPMs to a certain level, now it seems that even idling will do it. So now I am wondering about the tires. I am taking it tomorrow to see about the tires and then if that does not clear it up, I am taking it back to the dealership for more analysis. Any thoughts?

Oh, I had them install my draw bar/hitch and they put it on a little crooked. Does anyone think that it will be a problem. It is maybe 1/4 inch out of square, maybe less.

Thanks!

Guest bwilbourne

Hello again,

I just got back from the tire store and had their best guy rebalance the tires. He said they were a little off. Still the same vibrations. Frustrated, I did a google search on it and found this:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/re...dex.cfm/id/2290

It stated:

"Trouble Spots lists the many commonly occurring problems for a particular vehicle. In some cases we also give possible manufacturer-suggested solutions. In many instances these trouble spots are Technical Service Bulletins posted by the manufacturer, however we have our own expert looking at additional vehicle problems.

Trouble Spots

Airbags: Airbag-indicator light may flash, indicating a failure. Dealer will replace the SRS (supplemental restraint system) sensor under warranty. (1996)

Audio system: The radio may loose its presets and the clock its time due to voltage spikes. A replacement radio, less susceptible to this problem, is available. (1996)

Brake noise: A high-pitched squeal or whistle from the area of the front brakes is eliminated by replacing the baffle plate on both sides. (1996-98)

Suspension noise: The front suspension squeaks on rough roads due to a problem between the strut rod and rubber bumper. (1996)

Vehicle shake: Vibrations at 30-40 mph are often the result of the front driveshaft being installed out of phase. (1996-97)

Wheels: The black anodized lug nuts' surfaces corrode (looking light white dust spots). Nissan will replace them with chrome lug nuts. (1996)"

This is exactly what 88pathoffroad said!

I hope this is the problem and an easy fix. I just don't understand why a vehicle with 1300 miles on it would be having this issue. Does anyone out there no why this could be so?

Thanks

Guest bwilbourne

Well, I took my Pathfinder in this am bright and early and told them that the vibrations were still there. I told them that I had just had them rotated and balanced two days ago. I also told them about the driveshaft issue that was discussed here and what I had found on the internet. He called about 10:30 am and said they had just rebalanced them and the service mgr was about to drive it. He called me back about 1:30 and said that they were swapping out the tires and wheels from another brand new one just like mine. I asked if they checked the drive shaft out and he said that there was nothing wrong with the drive shaft and this model has a different system than the one referred to in the article. He said that the wheels can develop flat spots and mine had been sitting for a while. I really hope that it is the wheels and tires, but I am truly skeptical and very frustrated. I can feel when I get to about 3000 rpm's that the vibration is coming through the floorboard a little. That is what concerns me, but hopefully the wheels could be causing this.

Any thoughts?

I put the factory hitch on myself and there is 4 holes on each side and not to much play if any. Maybe that hitch is bent :confused: .

I had the shimmy problem took it in last time they Balanced front wheels a couple times and now it's gone. Mind you they bal. them before a few times and it still had that Shimmy.

Guest bwilbourne

Yeah, I am really praying that it is the wheels and tires, and not the driveline. I just got rid of 2 brand new Ford Ranger 4x4's in less than 2 years with driveline problems, so I am not ammused by this at all. I expected it out of Ford, but not a Nissan Pathfiner!

I looked more closely at the hitch. It is not that they installed the hitch out of square. The hitch is installed correctly. It is the step that is welded on top that is crooked. Whoever produced this for Nissan did such a great job that they welded the step on about a 1/4 of an inch out of square. Oh well, at least the hitch is not on crooked.

Thanks!

Interesting thread on Pathfinder vibrations:

http://www.nissanforums.com/showthread.php...light=vibration

Also others have had success getting a balance done on a Hunter GSP9700 balancer. You can go to www.gsp9700.com for locations that have one.

Here's what it is suppossed to do:

The GSP9700 Vibration Control System utilizes Hunter's exclusive Road Force Measurement® System that applies up to 1400 pounds (635 kg) against the tire assembly to detect non-balance, radial force-related vibration.

Guest bwilbourne

Thanks for the reply. I just picked it up from the dealership after the second time in a week. They swapped the wheels and tires off another brand new Pathfinder on the lot. Vibration is still there. I think it is in the driveline, but they obviously don't want to go that route. I don't even think they investigated it after I specifically told them about it. I can still feel it through the floor board and pedals. I will call them in the am and start with the service manager! I am not paying for a $37000 SUV that has vibrations in the vehicle!

Wish me luck.

Guest bwilbourne

Well-it is going to come to the lemon law for me, unless they step up to the plate and swap the vehicle. I left the vehicle with them with both sets of keys at the dealership today ld them it was theirs, and their problem, not mine. It better be fixed or swapped out for a new one, or a refund. But done by the end of next week. I have already contacted a lawyer and he is sending a letter next week. This really sucks!

I am skeptical of all pathfinders now!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bwilbourne

Well after the dealership saying they could not fix my vibration issue, I told them it was time to either swap the vehicle or give me a full refund. Once I said that they pretty much just closed the book on me. I sent the GM of the whole dealership an email and their attorney responded back to me. They are saying that:

"It is my understanding that the condition you complain of has been determined to be within the design parameters for this make and model of vehicle. That is to say, there appears to be no warrantable defect or deficiency in the vehicle that is expected to require any service or repairs under the manufacturer's warranty. That's what we are being told from Nissan, and what we have ascertained."

That is their position. Their attorney also told me to come pick up my vehicle and he has directed them to not have contact with me.

I have had an attorney send a letter to Nissan North America stating the Lemon Law, but have not heard back from them. I think that I am fighting a losing battle. Any ideas out there on this.

Bill

Guest bwilbourne

Well after an amazing struggle with an attorney and going back and forth, they did not budge. They are wanting to drag it out. I had basically just given up when the unusual and unexpected happened. I went out yesterday to go to work and noticed that almost ALL the vibration was gone. UNBELIEVABLE! There is still a minute amount there but nothing that I cannot handle now. I guess that the whole problem was bad tires. They did replace the wheels and tires at the dealership, but with one that had sat on their lot for a while. I guess it took just driving it for a while to get them rounded out. Who knows. I am going to have them road force balanced and if I have to, I will put a new set of tires all the way around. Does anyone have a suggestion on what tires I should put on the vehicle?

Man after all this and just a tire problem, what a total pain in the hiney. I just knew it was drivetrain related!!!

Bill