Gas Leak?

ResisterGo

I've noticed that my new-to-me pathfinder is leaking gas when the tank is full. It didn't leak when I got it, because it only had 1/4 tank in it. But when I got it home, filled the tank, and parked it, I came back to a pool of gas near the driver's side rear tire. I'm wondering if this is a common/known issue with these trucks... I'm hoping it's just the filler neck, not the tank itself. We'll see... I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow to get it looked at, since I won't have the time nor the garage to mess with it myself anytime soon.

Side note: Does the search function here suck, or is it just me? I've searched before posting every topic I've made, and it's given me irrelevant information each time.

Well, it could be a few things. If the sending unit and/or fuel pump had ever been replaced, it could be leaking there. It's tough to seal back up sometimes. Could be the filler, and/or vent tubes leaking, or it could be a bad fuel line (steel, or rubber) as they run right along the passenger side frame rail.

Well, it could be a few things. If the sending unit and/or fuel pump had ever been replaced, it could be leaking there. It's tough to seal back up sometimes. Could be the filler, and/or vent tubes leaking, or it could be a bad fuel line (steel, or rubber) as they run right along the passenger side frame rail.

Well, I suppose any of those would be cheaper to fix than a rust hole in the gas tank, right? Thanks for the quick response!

WOah....I take back my initial response.... I didn't realize you have an R50.

There's a recall for the fuel filler tube on some R50's. Before you take it to an independant shop, call your local dealership to see if the recall applies to you.

And watch out they might try to make you pay even if your truck IS covered :stickwack: , like the dealer here

Wow, thanks for the info. guys! I called my local dealer, and they said it IS under recall for the fuel filler tube. They're fixing it Monday for free. Awesome! :wiggle:

Glad I posted here instead of spending a bunch of money at the independent mechanic's shop.