Changing Spark Plugs

meeotch

Hello,

I just recently purchased my first pathfinder (Used 94 XE - 120k miles - V6 3.0L 4WD). I drove it home about 15 hours, no problem. But I got about 13-14 mpg on the interstate. Combine that with some slight hesitation I felt the other day after startup, and I feel that it's a good idea to change the spark plugs/wires out. So I take it in to my local Firestone, and they quote me ~$350. Is this a huge ordeal? I am no expert, but I did change the plugs/wires several times in my last vehicle (94 Passport). Are there any guides on here or online about this? Any hints to special tools or anything I would need to do this myself? I have searched in this forum, but didn't see anything specific to this.

Thanks

Spark plugs are not that big a deal. You can change 1-5 in 20-25 minutes. #6 as referenced can be a challenge. A couple of 6" extension, and a univeral joint and you should be good to go. Take your time. Use compressed air to dislodge any cack in the spark plug well prior to removal. Use some antiseize on the threads prior to reinsertion.

Plugs, cap, rotor, and scrub out the TBI. I think there is a sticky on the TBI cleaning. There is nothing unique to changing plugs in our pathy's. Welcome and enjoy!

Spark plugs are not that big a deal. You can change 1-5 in 20-25 minutes. #6 as referenced can be a challenge. A couple of 6" extension, and a univeral joint and you should be good to go. Take your time. Use compressed air to dislodge any cack in the spark plug well prior to removal. Use some antiseize on the threads prior to reinsertion.

Plugs, cap, rotor, and scrub out the TBI. I think there is a sticky on the TBI cleaning. There is nothing unique to changing plugs in our pathy's. Welcome and enjoy!

Um... 90-up have MPFI, not TBI. No TBI unit to scrub out.