*1990* Pathfinder Service Manual scanned to PDF!

GhostPath

I've just finished the long, arduous, and annoying task of scanning in the entire 1990 factory service manual for the D21 and WD21. I have them segregated by section - Clutch, Manual Transmission, Brake System, etc. - but there are no bookmarks or anything inside each file.

To add the bookmarks and indexes would take a lot of time. Should I add them, or just release it as is and trust that people can read the pages and select the appropriate page number?

Wow nice work, thanks for doing that. I don't think you need to add the indexes, most people should be intelligent enough to figure out page numbers.

Edited by LD50

hey ghost to make it more manageable and easy to open if you ever host it somewhere I would separate all the sections out into different .pdf's thats how nissan breaks theirs out

I already did that, I'm modelling it on the existing 94-95 manual PDFs we all know about.

Can... I have the entire thing for the WD-21?

*blushes* Sorry, but that'd be hella helpful for me :D

Not yet, anyway. It's not yet ready, and I need a place to host it where 1) it won't get a DMCA takedown notice and 2) tons of people sucking down a 331mb archive over and over and over won't cost a boatload of money.

Yes, that's right, the manual is 331mb *at this point*. It's going to get a little larger as I add more stuff in.

Put it up on a simple webpage that has a donation button. Better yet, make a donation mandatory before allowing a download. ;) You do realize that you have the one and ONLY 1990 Pathfinder FSM in the US in electronic format, right?

Yup, I do realize this - and this hasn't exactly been a cheap undertaking to do. The paper manual is so fragile and easily damaged... and it's also large and heavy in addition to being very expensive to get. Scanning it in is the only way to make sure it doesn't get destroyed by some random occurrence. I don't think Nissan even *has* any of the English manuals left prior to 94.

In case anyone is wondering, yes, I had to destroy an actual paper manual in order to be able to scan it properly. I now have a giant pile of paper that is no longer bound together.

I decided to go through and tab/index all of them this morning - Nissan's printed chapter indices are apparently sometimes hilariously inaccurate. Looks like if I work steadily, I will be able to get this finished sometime tonight.

However, this isn't the last offering. I have rented an architectural large-format scanner for a couple of days next week and will be able to scan in the entire factory wiring diagram manual (which is separate from the FSM). That will be even more rare - the only early WD21 FWD in electronic format *anywhere* that I'm aware of.

Edited by GhostPath

I'd like to recover at least some of my costs in doing this. It certainly wasn't cheap to do. Once I've done so, I'd put it up there and let it fly. The only reason I won't give it to them now is because they don't have a donate button that would come back to me.

What has the total cost been thus far, and what is your estimated total? I'm sure the members of these boards (myself included) would be more than willing to send some green your way to help recoup those costs. You have performed one hell of a service for us.

Well, the costs for everything so far is about $340, including the purchase and disassembly of the manuals plus renting a duplex scanner for the FSM and the architectural scanner for the wiring diagram. If I can get that back, I'll happily hand it out to all comers including giving it to PhatG20 for free distribution.

If you're wondering why the wiring diagram needs a superlarge format/blueprint scanner, see: http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...=wiring+diagram

Edit: Did the math wrong.

Edited by GhostPath

Well, the costs for everything so far is about $340, including the purchase and disassembly of the manuals plus renting a duplex scanner for the FSM and the architectural scanner for the wiring diagram. If I can get that back, I'll happily hand it out to all comers including giving it to PhatG20 for free distribution.

If you're wondering why the wiring diagram needs a superlarge format/blueprint scanner, see: http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...=wiring+diagram

Edit: Did the math wrong.

I'd be more than happy to shill $$$ for this - do you have a paypal account or similar? See how many people would be willing to recoup costs for you here on NPORA before releasing it into the wild via hosting (which inevitably would mean recouping no costs at all - there aren't too many philanthropists outside of these circles who would be willing to click that donate button). After this, setting up a torrent would reduce bandwidth and remove any issues of DMCA notices. Let us know what we can do.

Thomas.

I'd be more than happy to shill $$$ for this - do you have a paypal account or similar? See how many people would be willing to recoup costs for you here on NPORA before releasing it into the wild via hosting (which inevitably would mean recouping no costs at all - there aren't too many philanthropists outside of these circles who would be willing to click that donate button). After this, setting up a torrent would reduce bandwidth and remove any issues of DMCA notices. Let us know what we can do.

Thomas.

I'll probably do something like that - I do have a PayPal account. All I'm working on right now is a method to distribute this fairly without sucking up too much of my own bandwidth. I'll post up when I have it going.

Update: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17503&hl=

Edit: Due to massively underwhelming response and at least two people's threats of piracy/leaving me holding the bag on costs, I have had to change the terms on which I am offering these manuals. Please check out the above thread for more details.

Edited by GhostPath