Leaking t-case

chappy

Kind of strange. I've never heard or seen a leaking transfer case before. What you could do is clean up the mess, and drive it around the block and see where it is leaking from. That way you can better pinpoint exactly. The whole case is sealed unless it was serviced sometime and poorly sealed. Might check to to see if any of the bolts are loose. The front of the case is leaked by a plate but there is a seal around the input shaft. Regardless, I have never seen a t-case leak.

Yeah I'm thinking there is a loose bolt some where. I guess some of the Titans had this happen before. I'm not sure where the filler plug is I think it's near the top front and the manual says to fill it level to the hole so I'll clean it up tomorrow and get a better idea of where it's leaking from.

It looks to be the lower part of the seal of the rear case. I don't want to tackle this job myself any idea of how much labor this would be. I'll bring to my local mechanic to let them have a look. I don't think parts will be pricey but the labor might be the killer. I doesn't look like there is a gasket more like a bead of something. I found the plug it looks like the diff plug right 1/2" drive or something like that.

Edited by chappy

There will be no lights for a t-case leak, or for many leaks, so waiting for lights will not be fruitful practice in the long run. It took me about 5 hours on my own to take my T-case out and put a new one in on my Mercedes, and the pathy has a lot more clearance around the top of the case, so I wouldnt rule out doing it yourself...i think youd be surprised how easy it is

The hardest part about the whole ordeal would be the heaqvy lifting and moving into position if you were doing the job on the ground. the bead you see is just a high temp sealer (ATF-RTV Black). just a matter of seperating, cleaning and resealing. it can be a big deal if it runs dry, so if you plan on holding off on fixing the leak at least check and top off the level.

The hardest part about the whole ordeal would be the heaqvy lifting and moving into position if you were doing the job on the ground. the bead you see is just a high temp sealer (ATF-RTV Black). just a matter of seperating, cleaning and resealing. it can be a big deal if it runs dry, so if you plan on holding off on fixing the leak at least check and top off the level.

Yes indeedy I keep my eye on it! And I could do it easily. The only problem is, I live in a condo complex and they'll fine my ass everytime I pop my hood and do something. I could just eat the fine everytime, though eventually I could get foreclosed on and I'm not losing my condo just so I can have the pleasure of getting axle grease all over myself.

No worries, the next house is going to have a BIG garage! :D (at which point I'm gettin a VG34!)

I'm gonna bring it in to my local mechanic this week to have him look at it. If it is what it appears to be (the sealant between the case bodies) do you think this will be a spendy repair? It seems to be mostly labor.

• 1 year later...

OK, this is an old post, but I just found it because I have the same problem. My transfer case has a small leak. it is not as bad as the one in this post. I added fluid to it to keep it from running dry, it took about 3/4 of a quart. Looks like the OP is no longer active on this board... andyone else seen this problem?

It looks like the seals on the outside are good, it looks like it is leaking from some kind of internal seal because the oil is coming out of what looks like weep holes in on the case... I'll see if I can get a picture...

2004 4x4 SE

THANKS!

• 3 weeks later...
OK, this is an old post, but I just found it because I have the same problem. My transfer case has a small leak. it is not as bad as the one in this post. I added fluid to it to keep it from running dry, it took about 3/4 of a quart. Looks like the OP is no longer active on this board... andyone else seen this problem?

It looks like the seals on the outside are good, it looks like it is leaking from some kind of internal seal because the oil is coming out of what looks like weep holes in on the case... I'll see if I can get a picture...

2004 4x4 SE

THANKS!

My first post on this panel, seems I have come in at the bottom of a previous post. Anyway I too have a leak in the tcase, but the fluid level is OK, but what worries me is the T case is getting very hot in just 2WD. My first thought was that it may be locked in 4WD, so jacked up a front wheel, and proved that it is in 2WD. Any thoughts ?

Since someone else is having the same problem, I'll post what I found. This TSB describes what is happening on my Tcase, I will upload it in two parts so that it fits under 150K per post.

I read the TSB but have not done anything yet, I have been checking the fluid and it is staying pretty full, just a little leak out of the front of the case.

Does anyone think this should be fixed ASAP or can this wait a while. By the way I have the front hubs unlocked most of the time.

Pages_1_2_from_NTB04_067.pdf