new rims for the r50

chappy

I just got my new rims in today. I got some soft 8's 15 x 8. I took a chance having an 02 r50 I didn't mount tires on them yet because I wanted to test fit them first. When I put on the fronts the rims will spin, but just barely scrape the calipers on the inside rim twice per revolution. There is some corrosion build up on the outside of the caliper could I angle grind a hair off the edge of the caliper with no worries? Or do you think I just didn't tighten all the lugs up enough. I put masking tape on the caliper to see where it scratches and it doesn't even rip the tape just barely rubs it on the outside edge of the caliper. oh and the wheels have 4"b.s.

Edited by chappy

I just got my new rims in today. I got some soft 8's 15 x 8. I took a chance having an 02 r50 I didn't mount tires on them yet because I wanted to test fit them first. When I put on the fronts the rims will spin, but just barely scrape the calipers on the inside rim twice per revolution. There is some corrosion build up on the outside of the caliper could I angle grind a hair off the edge of the caliper with no worries? Or do you think I just didn't tighten all the lugs up enough. I put masking tape on the caliper to see where it scratches and it doesn't even rip the tape just barely rubs it on the outside edge of the caliper. oh and the wheels have 4"b.s.

i got those wheels. good @!*%.

Not really sure why the wheels rub, the 4" backspacing is the stock backspacing. Then again, the wheel is an inch wider than stock. My wheels are 15x8 but I have it with a 3.75" backspacing which pushes it outward. Rub is non-existant. I don't think it would be much of a problem if its not that bad of a rub.

I think it should be fine once I take some corrosion off and actually put tires on. I would think that the rim would constantly rub if it was a problem. I just don't know how much the caliper expand once heated at a hard brake. We'll see what I find out today.

How new are your brakes? If they're not BRAND new, they've probably worn some, and your calipers aren't pushed out as far as they would be with new pads. Your tiny amount of rubbing could amount to you not being able to mount your front tires back on after a brake job. Something to think about anyways.

Yeah I thought about that also. This weekend I'm gonna throw on some new pads and check the results. Worst case scenario I'll be stuck with a marked rim from mounting and have to send the others back at least I didn't mount tires on 'em. Sucks but what are ya gonna do.

I did my brakes today. My old pads were ok and rotors had tons of life but I put on new pads anyway just to check. After I broke in the pads a bit I took off my old rims and tested the 15's for fit. The passenger front has plenty of room doesn't even come close to rubbing. The same tire on the driver front hub rubs more with new pads. What could cause this? I checked the hub were the rim is seated and there was no built up corrosion on a particular side to make the rim untrue, but something is different from the passenger side I just don't know what. The calipers are the oem calipers on each side. Pretty weird!

I did my brakes today. My old pads were ok and rotors had tons of life but I put on new pads anyway just to check. After I broke in the pads a bit I took off my old rims and tested the 15's for fit. The passenger front has plenty of room doesn't even come close to rubbing. The same tire on the driver front hub rubs with new pads. What could cause this? I checked the hub were the rim is seated and there was no built up corrosion on a particular side to make the rim untrue, but something is different from the passenger side I just don't know what. The calipers are the oem calipers on each side. Pretty weird!