Does this sound right?

Guest ReyXLP

Guest ReyXLP

I took my 97 Pathfinder SE to the dealer because there is a clicking sound that comes out of the front when I move in reverse with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right.

They couldn't find the source of that problem, but they said the heat shields on the exhaust should be removed because they were coming loose and would eventually cause problems for the whole exhaust, but if I took them off now, the exhaust would last longer.

I asked if the car would be okay without these shields, and they said the shields are only there to prevent anything on the floor from catching fire from the car, but because the car is so high off the ground, you don't need them, but they can't be replaced without replacing the whole exhaust, and that my exhaust was fine, other than the heat shields.

Anyone who can confirm or deny this diagnosis, any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks very much.

Mine have been off for years with no complaints. They start to rattle loose and it's not worth replacing.

The line the dealer said about fire and higher ground clearance, well that's sorta correct. As far making the exhaust last longer, I'm not so sure I buy that one. I think the shields are only there because a law requires it. I suspect Nissan has to put the heat shields on to offer some protection against possible brush fire on hot pipes, but even with the ground clearance you are always at risk driving thru tall, dry grass, with or without heat shields. Just something to be aware of.

I'm not sure if you'd notice an increase in cabin heat if you live in a southern climate, but also with the SE you have better insulation under the carpet. And it wouldn't generate so much heat a little AC couldn't overcome.

But that doesn't resolve the clicking sound in reverse. Maybe a CV binding up? If it only happens in full lock in reverse, i wouldn't be too concerned, just keep an eye on it if it becomes more common.

m.

Guest ReyXLP

Thank you guys so much for the quick responses, I really appreciate it!

Service folks also mentioned the CV, but said it wouldn't be an issue for a very long time and suggested leaving it alone for now.

Stay well,

Rey