Oxegen Sensors

mikeysentra

I am going to be changing out the front 2 oxegen sensors on my 97 pathy. I have been getting 11-12 MPG and its had a slight hesitation under light throttle, I guess its time after 136,000 miles. I am not getting any codes but in my sentra I used to have I ran into a poor fuel economy issue and drivability issue. I changed the O2 sensor and did a full tune up and it was back to normal. I have done the full tune on the pathy and I am hopeing that the o2 sensors bring mileage back up to a reasonable 15-16 again. I have ordered the sensors Denso Brand. but am wondering if there is an easy way to change them out? It looks pretty cramped in the enging compartment by the sensors, and it looks like the exhaust manifold heat shielding is in the way. Anyone have any tips for this process to make it easier? I ordered only the front 2 sensors because they are the ones that control the Air fuel ratio and the after cat o2 sensors mainly just tell the computer if the cat is working properly or not. Also anyone looking for parts at an inexpensive price check out autohauseaz.com. I have been useing them for my Audi Parts for a few years and its hard to beat there prices.

Well after replacing the Front O2 Sensors and the Coolant temp sensor the Pathy is Smoother, the hesitation is gone, its got a little bit better power and most importantly gas mileage has gone from dismal low teens to 16.5. I think that it was money well spent and if you have older O2 Sensors and coolant sensors you should replace them and reap the benefits. BTW it took a apecial socket that I couldent find to get the Sensors out of the exhaust manifolds so It ended up costing me $145.00 at the dealership to have them instaled. Its the best $145.00 car wash I have had and it was well worth the 300 for the sensors instaled.

Well after replacing the Front O2 Sensors and the Coolant temp sensor the Pathy is Smoother, the hesitation is gone, its got a little bit better power and most importantly gas mileage has gone from dismal low teens to 16.5. I think that it was money well spent and if you have older O2 Sensors and coolant sensors you should replace them and reap the benefits. BTW it took a apecial socket that I couldent find to get the Sensors out of the exhaust manifolds so It ended up costing me $145.00 at the dealership to have them instaled. Its the best $145.00 car wash I have had and it was well worth the 300 for the sensors instaled.

Where did you order them from?

Dude, you wasted $145 at the dealer. All you needed was a O2 sensor socket. I bought mine on eBay for something like $15 shipped and worked like a charm. Live and Learn, I guess.

Now, I need to replace the coolant temp sensor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/O2-OXYGEN-VACUUM-SENSO...1QQcmdZViewItem

Edited by SantaCruz163

Dude, you wasted $145 at the dealer. All you needed was a O2 sensor socket. I bought mine on eBay for something like $15 shipped and worked like a charm. Live and Learn, I guess.

Now, I need to replace the coolant temp sensor.

http://cgi.ebay.com/O2-OXYGEN-VACUUM-SENSO...1QQcmdZViewItem

I tried manny different O2 sensor sockets and none of them would fit down on to the Hex portion of the sensor because they were to thick. I called snapon and he said there was a special socket for This application and he didnt have one. So I just took it to the dealer and had it done.

That one on ebay worked fine on mine? :shrug:

So the O2 sensor tool is not Nissan specific? I haven't had to deal with emissions stuff before since the M3 is OBD1. If its a general part, I might be able to borrow one from someone with a BMW.

Thanks for all the help by the way. I am going to try and order the parts this week and replace everything on the first warm weekend. Right now I am averaging 14 mpg but my commute is only 4 miles so I am not hurting too bad yet.

• 3 months later...

Alrighty, I am finally getting around to doing this.

My buddy has an OBDII scanner, but will it be more likely to replace all 4 sensors or 2 (front or back)? Also, I did some checking around and the sensors seem to be around $50 a piece, is that about average?

Gas is finally creeping up to $4, but with my commute being on 5 miles each way, Im not using a lot of gas. On the flip side, I never want to drive the pathfinder any farther than I have to.

Thanks