Exhaust Manifold Studs

kiwininja

So over the last few months I have tore down the engine in my wife's Pathfinder to fix the broken exhaust manifold studs. While I was taking everything apart I had a small problem with the studs that connect the flange of the passenger side exhaust manifold to the exhaust pipe. The nuts were rusted on so bad that the whole stud came out when I tried to loosen them. Now that I've got the engine back together I can't get the stupid exhaust pipe connected to the manifold. The old studs are really rusty and I thought it might be a good idea to replace them with some new bolts. The problem is, no matter how hard I try I can't get the flange on the exhaust pipe to line up properly with the manifold to get all the bolts in. I've managed to get one in, and I've been wrestling with the other two for hours with no luck what so ever. Is there something I'm missing here? Please don't tell me I need to remove the manifold again and put new studs in. I just got the stupid thing back together.

• 2 weeks later...
PB blaster is your FRIEND

patience is too...let it soak in...you can also use the torch method just watch out for the fuel lines...

if you dont break any your lucky as hell...but y pull them off at the manifold and not the collector its only 3 bolts on either side and if you break one it wouldnt be as bad to fix... just use lots of extensions and get it from the bottom side with an impact (yes impact gun is better on exhaust bolts you have less of a chance to break them and keeping the amount of heat down in them...I didn't believe it until my mechanic buddy proved it to me...I broke 2 of 3 he broke none)

• 5 weeks later...
Do you guys have any tricks to get rusted bolts out from the exhaust? I do not want to strip them but i need them out..

I had the same problem below the driver's floor pan right my the oxygen sensor, after using Liquid Wrench and tapping it a few times, it came out using a 6 sided socket on a universal. The bolts were trashed, and I ended up replacing them with new ones. Inspect the area of the exhaust gasket, if it is slightly warped you may end up replacing that gasket again. The space was cramped, and it seemed like it took an hour to get the bolt on the engine side in as I could only get about a quarter turn each time....

Hope that helps,

Boot :crossedwires: