electrial demons

indomwe

1995 pathfinder

tried to change out the radio with an aftermarket radio head unit and now everytime I try to reconnect the battery the car starts without the key even in the ignition. put the factory radio back in and it still does same. My guess is its something to do with the alarm system but do not know enough about these to troubleshoot. Factory Alarm system, no remote start.

also it sounds like the starter stays engaged and when it is placed into park you can here the starter/ring gear is engaged and it makes a whirrring noise. Solenoid stuck???

I need help badly..................anybody have any insight or troubleshooting suggestions????

Edited by indomwe

Try tapping on the starter relay under the hood by the battery. It may be stuck internally. If that fixes it, I'd buy a new one. ;)

You can also try sticking the key in and turning it on and off a few times while the battery is disco'ed, just in case contacts inside the ignition switch are somehow messed up...

Try tapping on the starter relay under the hood by the battery. It may be stuck internally. If that fixes it, I'd buy a new one. ;)

You can also try sticking the key in and turning it on and off a few times while the battery is disco'ed, just in case contacts inside the ignition switch are somehow messed up...

Tried both. I did not know which was the starter relay so I tapped all of the relays. also crawled underneath and tapped the solenoid and starter just in case they were sticking. this thing has me friggin frustrated. Gonna pull the trim off the column by the ignition in the morning and poke around there to see if I can see anything frayed or unplugged. Car was fine until we pulled the radio. everything worked fine.

Well, I give up. Spent all day today trying everything I could think of. Pull all the cables, cleaned and refastened. and the damn thing still does the same. I guess its a trip to the stealer and $$$$$

To top it off the hood latch cable went today as well.

Not fun.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: we seem to be making progress. The pathy seems to be mending its own sickness !!!!!

It now starts with the ignition key provided we turn the headlights on and provided that we dont lock the doors. So we are now back on the road and having driving fun, even though having to turn the lights on to get the truck to start is really making this saga weird....................

Update: we seem to be making progress. The pathy seems to be mending its own sickness !!!!!

It now starts with the ignition key provided we turn the headlights on and provided that we dont lock the doors. So we are now back on the road and having driving fun, even though having to turn the lights on to get the truck to start is really making this saga weird....................

And I thought I had electrical problems. :blink:

Sounds like something may be shorting, but I really don't know anything so its just a guess.

And I thought I had electrical problems. :blink:

Sounds like something may be shorting, but I really don't know anything so its just a guess.

yes something is shorting out and it all started when we tried to change out the factory radio. dont know where to start with the diagnostics and dont want to go to stealer cuz it is likely to cosy lots of $$$$$ to trouble shoot. So we are hoping that the old girl keeps mending herself....lol

yes something is shorting out and it all started when we tried to change out the factory radio. dont know where to start with the diagnostics and dont want to go to stealer cuz it is likely to cosy lots of $$$$$ to trouble shoot. So we are hoping that the old girl keeps mending herself....lol

Not that I know anything about your issue, but I have installed a stereo once in a Lincoln and misconnected the dimmer wire and it would start everytime you turned on the headlights...pretty weird.

my .02....