Auto hub locked up

Mr. Pickles

Hey there,

You'll see in my other recent post that I just replaced the driver's side CV shaft. I've got an issue with the auto hub, as the spring kind of "sprung" when I pulled it off (pieces got loose). I replaced it as best I could by memory and what made sense, as the instructions I've seen, as well as the Haynes manual, simply state "remove hub, install is the reverse of removal" and the pic isn't any better.

Anyways, the hub appears to be stuck engaged, and it won't disengage after spinning the shaft by hand (when jacked up) nor after reversing a few feet. Does anybody have any insight into this, or a particular part/area to check out in the auto-hub? If it wasn't the holidays (and hence cash being tight), I'd rather just toss the auto's of course, but you know how it is...

Thanks, it missing the "stuff" inside the hub though, isn't it? Yeah, i've got a similar diagram, and I believe I have it right. Gonna check tomorrow. I guess I'm more wondering if there is a specific setup to putting it back together. You know, X part put in at this angle, then Y part put in next to engage Z part. I don't know if that makes sense, but basically the stuff I've seen just says to remove and reinstall, but doesn't mention if there is a specific "how" to put it back together do it, or if it doesn't matter, and just put the stuff in order and go.

Calling Mr. Dumbass, hello, Mr. Dumbass! I have the FSM from K9. Sunova... maybe too much Hawaii sun on the brain? ;) I'll take a look, and thanks. Its sitting till tomorrow, and now I'm going back to melt into the couch in the middle of a Bourne trilogy marathon. :ar15::ph33r::sly:

*snort*

DID YOU TRY THE SEARCH FUNCTION?!?!?!

Sorry, couldn't help myself...

:search:

:jk:

B

P...:deadhorse: Where's my foot? *search* Oh, its around back, kicking you square in the ass. ;):lol:

Something must have just been out of alignment, cause I pulled apart quick, checked it out, and put it back, and it works fine.

There's a small trail down the street along a fence line in the trees, perfect to test. So here I am, in and out of 4wd, rolling, stopping to check for movement, repeat. I hear this "um, hello" and look up to see a woman standing on her back deck, wondering what this jackass was doing trail riding along her back yard on Christmas Eve. LOL :D

*snort*

Ok, as long as you get it all back together and working...

"um, hello"

I always have high hopes when I hear that...

Did you ever thing of taking the other side apart to reference to??

"um, hello"

Sorry, Mr P. Just feeling kinda frisky... :D

B