Brakes

wheel366

When I was getting my snow tires installed they told me that I had about 10% of the pad material left on my brakes, both front and back. I had had no problems with my brakes however since I bought the truck in 2003, I have never changed them and I do not know when they were changed before that.

I want to get slotted for the front. I'm looking at the Power Slot Cryo-Treated. I also want to get slotted for the rear but it may not be possible I hear that AC has slottef for the rear. I have the disc rear with the drum for the E brake. I'm not sure Tirerack sells a combo like that.

My biggest question is what pads do you use front and rear? I want to do this soon. Maybe in January or February but I want to make a good decision.

I have Stillen metal matrix pads. They are only ok; When they warm up they grip ok [i would say average], but the first 5 minutes of driving are a problem, with hardly any grip at all . I would NOT recommend them.

• 3 weeks later...

I always run the napa golds and havent ever had any problems...IMHO slotted and drill rotors with high falutin' pads is a waste of money on the pathy...theres nothing you really are going to be doing to overheat the rotors and warp them...they're an expendable and if your going to be playing in the mud its just more things to have to clean and worry about...

I can understand where if you planned on having a fast car and needing to get the heat out of the rotors but I just dont see it on a 4wd application unless your running a drag with something like 35's on it which is unsafe in itself

I am taking the truck to the shop on Tuesday next week to get the brakes done. It looks like at least one of the rear calipers is rusted and possibly frozen. The rotor is all rusted and it doesn't look like it's been used in a while. I was gonna do the replacement myself for the rears but I don't want to deal with that so I am letting someone else do it.

Since I have never done brakes on the truck since I bought it in 2003 I wonder what it will feel like when it's done. I don't even know when the guy whom I purchased the truck from had them done. I would think not any time close to when I bought the truck since the caliper is frozen. Something to look forward to.

I have to be honest. If the shop didn't tell me that I needed new brakes I would not be getting new ones. I'm assuming that the guy who owned the truck before me just had OEM stuff installed and they feel fine. I have no complaints. Even with only 10% left, they feel fine and I have never had any problems. Even passed inspection.

But to be safe to myself and others I feel that it is important to get them done all the way around. which is what I am doing.