Parts Advice - Upgrade Things

Kittamaru

You know what, I'll just do it. I know we don't have one in the How-To section so I'm gonna get off my arse and do something for the forum!

It's not that hard. No come-alongs, no special de-tensioning procedures, basic hand tools and a few hours or so is all it should take. How-To coming up.

88 is the man. Till he gets that writeup up, here's my basic how to from another post, it may get you started or at least thinking in the right direction.

There's only 1 way to do a tbar lift. It's very easy; if you have a jack and stands, and a 19mm (I think) wrench and socket you can do it. You won't have to raise much if you are only barely hitting the plastic.

-Make sure it's in gear and the brake is on.

-Take a measurement from the ground, both sides. I like to use the pinch weld right by the flares.

-Get the front tires off the ground. If you don't have jack stands it can be done on the ground, but it's easier w/out weight on the front. Tightening the tbars with the front on the ground may stress the anchors on the front, but I can't confirm that.

-The adjusters are in the middle frame crossmember, look for two long bolts with 2 nuts on each. Loosen the top nuts so the lower nut can move up. The top one is a keeper nut, if you can get a wrench on both at the same time that will work too. Tighten the bolts; this twists the bar (moves the anchor up into the xmember) and puts more pressure on them, raising the front. 10 full turns should get a decent amount of lift but play around with it, maybe you'll need more or less. If you offroad make sure the anchors don't sit below the xmember, they can catch on rocks if they're down too far. Not good.

-Get it back on the ground and bounce the crap out of it to settle the suspension.

-Measure again, it should be higher in the front now but you don't want the front higher than the back. Pathys came stock with the back a little higher. Both sides should be the same, a little higher on the driver side is ok.

-Pull up on an obstacle with one wheel (flex one side) and turn the wheel completely both ways to see if anything rubs.

That should do it.

Edited by Earth1

88 is the man. Till he gets that writeup up, here's my basic how to from another post, it may get you started or at least thinking in the right direction.

I need to reindex them, not tighten them. Thanks anyway for the advice!

Yeah, but it's a lot easier without all that weight on the suspension, right?

I'm going to ask my mechanic if I can borrow his jack stands to use... he's a family friend, so he may let me. If not, I'll have to do it without *gulp*