Rear Diffs and their numbers!

02silverpathy

Hey guys found an LSD Nissan rear at the boneyard today..asthetically in mint condition...still had old Pathfinder Chromies on it and the LSD OIL ONLY stick is bright and clean...I rolled it over to find more info on it...all I could find was 5W509B...any way to know what gears are inside??

I also found a front and rear set of HG46's on a 94 path, but she had 198xxx miles on it and I figure that the gears weren't worth the $500 the JY wants....fill me in on your thoughts! Please!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the 4.9's from the Xterra will work on the pathy? I would be swapping the gears in the rear and the whole from member. They are salty but if I am going to tear open a 100% functional part of the OEM truck it has to be a sweet upgrade!!

The only way to really know the gears w/o the tag in the engine bay is to open it up and count the ring gear teeth and divide by the pinion teeth. (ie... 37 ring /8 pinion is 4.625) I believe that the Xterra 4.9s are a direct swap. It should be a H233 rear and R200A front. I know that the H233 3rd from an 4.9 xterra will fit. The later "off road" models use a D44 in the rear.

Also keep in mind if it is a H233A LSD housing the 3rd will need a few holes drilled, and other made larger to fit on the later model H233B housing. Just a little heads-up.

I understand almost all of what you said except for the holes in the 3rd member. And how do I find out if it is a h233a or b. Thanks for the response! This seems to be a quiet topic, though the outcome seems well worth it!

Edited by 02silverpathy

The older H233A uses 10mm bolts while the H233B uses 12mm. Each bolt/stud hole in the H233A must be enlarged to fit onto the H233B housing. (Plus there are more bolts holding the B 3rd to the housing than the A third.)

Check to see if the front diff will fit. Nissan used two styles of fronts. The older wd21 used a low pinon and the R50 used a high pinion. the rear will fit, with minimal modifications if any.

Does anyone know if the 4.9's from the Xterra will work on the pathy? I would be swapping the gears in the rear and the whole from member. They are salty but if I am going to tear open a 100% functional part of the OEM truck it has to be a sweet upgrade!!

The rear gears 4.9s will swap right in, but the front 4.9s WILL NOT. The lowest you can gear (numerically higher) on an R50 R200 is the 4.636s.