New guy and problem ridden 87 pathy

Boondocker

Hey Everyone,

I joined NPORA a few weeks back and have spent some time reading posts and such. Must say, great info. Recently I've become the owner of a 1987 4x4 pathy with a V6 and 5 speed and two parts rigs! The 87 pathy was free, but came with some issues. I've swapped out the TBI (injectors were shot) and must do the front wheel bearings and timing belt in the next week or two. Don't worry, as questions arise, I let you guys know. And I plan on running the diagnostics check this weekend!

The first two head scatchers are the heating system. The fan works only on level 4 or totally off (switch I'm sure) and it only blows on defrost. Adjsuting the switch does nothing. If its gonna be stuck somewhere defrost would be my first choice, but the feet get a little cold once in a while. Any thoughts ideas, suggestions?

Bill

The issue with the settings off, and 4 working is the blower motor resister. It's behind the glove box. It's a $30 part brand new. You can swap that out in a matter of half an hour.

The switch directing the air flow could be a bigger project. It's all cable driven. If you're lucky, it's simply disconnected at the switch, which would mean you simply have to reconnect the cable, and be good to go.

As Simon said... No, I am not making a joke.

The heater direction issue could also be at the heater box. You should be able to see where it goes by looking under the dash. If it is not connected there, you are lucky. If it is connected there, then you will have to remove the slide panel. That could be a pain in the arse... Not because it is hard to do, more so that the plastics you have to remove to get it out are more than likely very brittle and prone to break.

thanks guys! I'll poke around under the dash tomorrow and see whats going on.

I've also done some thinking about the other two parts rigs. There's enough parts to make one decent rig. Twice a year around here (North Idaho) there's a small local mud bug. Maybe I'll just make one runable pathy, lift it a few inches and do some mudding. May not even make it street legal, just trailer it.

thanks guys! I'll poke around under the dash tomorrow and see whats going on.

I've also done some thinking about the other two parts rigs. There's enough parts to make one decent rig. Twice a year around here (North Idaho) there's a small local mud bug. Maybe I'll just make one runable pathy, lift it a few inches and do some mudding. May not even make it street legal, just trailer it.

Sounds like a plan to me.

Sounds like a plan to me.

After looking at the super swampers mud boggers, I'm wondering if the V6 will turn a 33x12.5 bogger, or would it be better to use the 33x10.5?

I'm looking at a $1500 buget (give or take) which should get me a little lift and the tires/wheels. Is there anything else critical for the pathy to navigate some mud?

Thanks for all the suggestions!

After looking at the super swampers mud boggers, I'm wondering if the V6 will turn a 33x12.5 bogger, or would it be better to use the 33x10.5?

I'm looking at a $1500 buget (give or take) which should get me a little lift and the tires/wheels. Is there anything else critical for the pathy to navigate some mud?

The 10.5 will get more grip in the boggy stuff (not tend to float as much) than the 12.5. The issue of turning them... a 33 inch diameter is a 33 inch diameter, and the V6 should turn them no problems.

A locker

Where in North Idaho???? Its just across the way from me here in Spokane...

Locker in Mud would be ideal, 33x10.5 wont eat your CL as fast as the 12.5's but its still gonna get eatin.... Kinda wishing I had gone 32x10.5...

I'll look into a locker. Whats the average price for one?

I'm up in Sandpoint. The mud bog I was refering to is the Moyie Mud Bog. Its disorganzied, a little crazy, but lots of fun! The pathy won't run with the big block chevys running 44's, but I'm sure it will still be fun and cost a bit less.

Yeah, but you'll lose power in the low range. I've run 33's for years now and I'm not all that happy with them. :(

That is a startling revelation 88, though not really surprising given the Nissan engine is so underpowered. Time for an engine swap by the sounds of it. A 4.0ltr Buick V6 will have you climbing mountains effortlessly.

Meh...the nissan V6 does just fine with 33's on the trail. Our T-case and gearing is low enough that the HP and torque numbers don't matter.

On road, I can see your point....it's no racecar. Not that I'd drive it as such anyways. :shrug:

Meh...the nissan V6 does just fine with 33's on the trail. Our T-case and gearing is low enough that the HP and torque numbers don't matter.

On road, I can see your point....it's no racecar. Not that I'd drive it as such anyways. :shrug:

I think I read his post wrong. I assumed the low range he talked about to be that of the TC. :crossedwires:

Ok Guys... new question. I have the option of buying a Rancho suspension lift and a performance accessories body lift (3") shipped to my door for $350. Is this worth it? I poked around a bit and it sounds like the rancho lift isn't the best, but the price sounds ok. I've got 24hrs to respond.

What do you think?