Priming the oil pump

madhatter_xe

Yes you have to prime the oil pump before you start it. If you don't, your looking at investing another chunk of change. Use some white lithium grease and pack it into the hole that is about the size of your pinkie finger. Use your finger to stuff it in until it comes out a very small hole on the other side. Trust me when I say it seems like it takes a lot of grease, but $5 worth of grease or $200 for a new oil pump and then the grease?

Edited by Roost

I was thinkin more about this b/c my engine is already in and there's no turning back...and I figure if i'm just dropping in a used engine wouldn't it be the same as somebody letting a car sit for 6 months and then firing it up?

Edited by madhatter_xe

I was thinkin more about this b/c my engine is already in and there's no turning back...and I figure if i'm just dropping in a used engine wouldn't it be the same as somebody letting a car sit for 6 months and then firing it up?

Your choice, of course, but if it is a new oil pump, I would HIGHLY recommend priming it with the grease now and avoid the 200 bones to replace it later.

• 2 weeks later...