Oil & Fluid checking, filling and leaks 101

NaturaTek

Yes, advanced noobie question :rolleyes:

So I was reading another thread about living with a oil leak. I didn't want to thread hijack so I figure let me ask a couple of questions regarding this and others.

What are ways to check if you have any oil leaks? Besides moving the car and theres a blotch of oil on the pavement. Are there any slow silent killer oil leak types that go unnoticeable then one day boom?

What are good ways to detect slow/silent killer leaks of any fluids/oil, if there are any ways?

What are the most common leaks if any? I'm gonna assume it's basic motor oil leaks.

So far in learning, I know to check Motor oil, brake fluid, and transmission fluid..oh and add radiator antifreeze. Are there any other fluids I have not mentioned that one should check??

If there are any leaks, the most common thing to check/fix are the seals? Anything on top of that could be something serious?

I'm not sure if I am overdoing this, but I've been checking fluids mentioned above every sat or sunday.

If one does find a leak will those walmart 'stop a leak' additive really work? My instinct tells me no, thats like a shark bites my inflatable raft and theres a roll of scotch tape that says 'stop a air leak', really won't just do anygood and the aftermath awaits you.

When one does fill or 'tops' the fluids, is it generally a good idea to stick with one brand or 'whatever you get' every given time is ok?

If theres anything here I have not mentioned that is crucial to this thread, please help out a noob, I'll send you a hallmark card for xmas. :friday:

You forgot pwr sterring fluid,transfer case and rear end(differential) fluid and washer fluid. In my opinion,you can never over check your fluids. Anyway,your most common leaks are gonna be motor oil. They mostly come from the oil pressure sending unit, valve cover gaskets, and rear main seal. Most times someone will think the rear main is leaking,when its actually trailing down the back of the engine coming from the valve covers. There are engine oil dyes available that you can add to your oil that can later be viewed with a florescent lamp to determine where the oil is leaking from. Or you can just visually inspect the motor with adequate lighting and see where the oil is coming from(after you thoroughly degrease your engine first). As long as you check/fill your oil level on a regular interval, you shouldnt have to worry about blowing the motor. No, never, ever use stop leaks!! Think about this, does the oil stop leak know the difference between a crack in a seal/gasket verses a small hole in a vital oil passage? It is always good to use one brand/type of fluid and stick with the same if at all possible. But im not saying you should pass on adding oil to your motor because you cant get the same brand or weight! Im no engineer, But I think I've covered what you were asking and hope I was helpful. Also, do you have an owners manual? That will actually give the best time intervals for checking/replacing all fluid levels.

Good Luck!

Edited by 95shakinPF

way to finish off the thread shakinPF... lol :beer:

checking once a week is definitely not overdoing it. if you have a very long commute, checking before each trip isn't a bad idea.

these engines don't really leak. puddles under the truck is normally the first sign but if you check your fluids often, you may just notice it on the dipsticks.

if you have a clutch, you also want to check that fluid... blinker fluid also comes to mind. :X

i like to stick to the same brand of fluid but i do add whatever is handy if/when i am really low.

i also grease all the zerqs when i do oil changes.

Zerks are the fittings on all of your ball joints, steering links, u-joints etc. that accept grease. You can get a cheap grease gun at auto-zone or the like for about 15 bucks. Transfer case and differential oil can be found at any auto parts store. You check the pulling the plug out in the back of the diff, about half way up. You should see fluid at, or just under the plug. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask any questions, alot of people on here really know their stuff. :itsallgood:

Zerks are the fittings on all of your ball joints, steering links, u-joints etc. that accept grease. You can get a cheap grease gun at auto-zone or the like for about 15 bucks. Transfer case and differential oil can be found at any auto parts store. You check the pulling the plug out in the back of the diff, about half way up. You should see fluid at, or just under the plug. Good luck, and don't hesitate to ask any questions, alot of people on here really know their stuff. :itsallgood:

It kills me when 99% of all trucks and suvs on the road have the leaking pumpkin syndrome. It is probably caused by monkey lubes checking the levels and either not resealing the Fill/inspection port, or when they check it the fluid dribbles out all over the back of the pumpkin and they don't bother to clean it properly. You guys have seen them the dirty oil spots running down the pumpkin. EVERYONE WASH your Pumpkins!!

Mark

Edited by msavides

why the heck would I wash off rust inhibitor? If it didn't smell so bad I would rub/spray it all over the frame etc..... :tonguefinger:

I Forgot that you Canada guys need all the rust protection you can get. Sorry I am from California. My pumpkin still has Paint on it. :hide:

I was washing and waxing it the other day. :togo:

Mark