Grinding t-case

Hud

So when I pull my tcase from 2H to 4H... No problems, 4H to N... No problems but when I go from N to 4L... It grinds and when I go back to N from 4L... It grinds.. but from N to 4H no problems but from 4H back to 2H.., It grinds.... :shrug: Did you get that? :lol:

Any ideas what this might be... I do know to put the tranny into N for the shift from 4H to 4L...

Also I did switch the shifter to a HB one after my body lift... could this be the problem... was it not put back on correctly??... I honestly don't know if this was happening before this swap... I don't think it was... but I did'nt really drive the truck before I did all this work...

Thanks

are you stopped when going to 4L? my 87 has never liked shifting on the fly unless it was from 2H to 4H...but Ialways stop anyways b/c I think its better for it and plus I have to lock the hubs now too unless I did it B4 getting to the trail so that was how I fixed it for me... just try it idling at a stop with the truck in N and you shouldnt get any grinding

All of this is when I am at a complete stop... Like UncPath I also stop even to shift into 4H... I agree with what you said...

Maybe I should have mentioned this but my truck is an automatic,,, the more I think about it I don't think it made any grinding before I had the tranny rebuilt just recently... could they have f'd something up while doing the rebuild..(88 you helped me out with the other thread on the issue with my tranny screaming and slipping gears)... could that be part of the issue? And on that note the tranny shop is going to put in a new control module in my tranny... he thinks theres a crack in the one I have now and its causing a loss of pressure and the gears are'nt locking properly as a result...

Thanks

yea, put it into park to shift into 4l. there is enough fluid friction to spin the t-case in neutral, when both the t-case and trans is in neutral. i bet it will shift into 4l in park.