Cruise control in '93 WD21 - where do you get it?

Darren

Started hijacking an earlier thread on a cruise control problem so I thought I should start my own.

I've found out that you guys in USA got cruise in your Pathy's.

We never got that here (factory cruise)!

Could someone show me photo's of the switch and other cruise related attachments.

Do you think it would be possible for me to source one to get sent over for me to install myself? Maybe from a wreck or similar.

Thanks in advance!

Darren

you'd have to get all the parts...and then figure out how to wire it up...I doubt you have it prewired...I would think without looking at it that it could be rigged up fairly easily...a relay to a solenoid for the vaccum and then a cancel switch on the brakes but with that "rigged system" I dont think the resume and coast wold work

you could also get an adjustable curtain rod and use that :laugh: jk dont do that...

I'll see what I can dig up...you got an email address I can send a PDF to? I think I can get my hands on the 94 wiring schematic and all the information for the CC section...

Edited by unccpathfinder

you'd have to get all the parts...and then figure out how to wire it up...I doubt you have it prewired...I would think without looking at it that it could be rigged up fairly easily...a relay to a solenoid for the vaccum and then a cancel switch on the brakes but with that "rigged system" I dont think the resume and coast wold work

you could also get an adjustable curtain rod and use that :laugh: jk dont do that...

I agree - I don't like your curtain rod theory - although it would be easier!

Here's a couple of photo's of the throttle body and cable linkage.

enginethrottle2.jpg

enginethrottle1.jpg

From 88pathoffroad it sounds like you have two radius brackets for two cables. You can see the slot for the second cable on the plate but only a single radius bracket. This looks like it only bolts on though so I should be able to swap it for the one off your models.

I reckon there's a chance that the wiring might already be in place. I havent looked in the steering column but I know there are other places in the truck that have unused plugs already wired up with no explanation as to what they're doing there.

This is why I would need all the stuff if I was to buy one from a wreck. I would still like to see the controls set up in the car too. Are they on the steering wheel like the R50? If so I would also need that bracket and wiring.

Does this sound like it's getting too hard?

Thanks for your replies and lets see how we go with all this.

Darren

If yours is a 93 like you sig states the CC will be on your signal lever with a master switch beside your rear defroster switch, thats how it is in my 93

Edited by redfinder

I've got some CC parts for a 3.0 L I think...if your interested, I'm not sure what it takes to send it your way but I can dig through my boxes and see what parts I have...I will also send you another email with the 94 FSM so you have all of the wiring schematics and you can go through and find the difference between teh ASCD and one without

this is a diagram, and parts website from a texas, USA website. their parts are expensive, but it gives you an idea.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/path..._5611_5619.html

you also need the turn signal with cruise incorporated in it (link below), and you would need the on/off switch that mounts on the dash under the gauge cluster, and its harness (if not already tucked under the dash somewhere).

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=25540-D21CC

wd21_251-1.jpg

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/path..._5611_5616.html

I dont know the differences between US pathys and Aus. pathys, so i cant say what exactly your pathy has or needs. Are the AUS. Pathys left hand driven or right hand?

GarrettQ

Redfinder

Is your signal stalk on the left or right side of the wheel?

UNCCpathfinder

Thanks for that John. I got the emails. I'll have a good look through them and see what comes out of it.

88pathoffroad

thanks very much for the offer and I might take you up on it if I decide it can be done.

GarrettQ

Thanks for the diagram. The on/off switch on the dash is one thing I would need and possibly the wiring harness to go with it. I'll have to look. We are right hand drive over here and the indicator stalk is on the right side of the steering column. it appears from the link you sent that your turn signal stalk is on the left side with the cruise incorporated. I would have to see if I could adapt that.

From the parts diagram you sent me it does not seem that there is too much involved in the set up. It seems that it runs off the vacuum through the contoller? The basic mechanicals of it seem to be relatively simple?

Guys

Does your dash have any indicator lights on it that the cruise is on and is operating?

This is still looking like a possibility.

Thanks

Darren

Ive worked for parts depts for several years and you actually may be able to find a dealer installed (or aftermarket ) Cruise control kit for vehicles made without CC. IIRC these kits are usually $150-up USD. I know used parts will be cheaper, but you may encounter several problems getting ALL the needed parts. Good Luck!