Horn question

german996

my horn works intermitently, dont know if there is a bad contact in the steering wheel , I tried to take it apart and the lower part seems to be stuck and I didnt want to force it, so I squeez a file to clean the contacts , but no luck , I know the horn is located behind the front bumper inside the wheelwell, ( between the tire and the bumper) , have anyone had any trouble with the horn?

german996

Sometimes the ground for the horns gets corroded (There are two, behind the bumper area IIRC, they bolt to the rad support/front end sheetmetal and simply ground through the attachment point) or the 12V+ wire on the horn corrodes. Check the wiring and wiggle each horn itself to see if the contact improves? Could be that OR the contacts in the steering wheel.

Mine has a bad spot in the contact at the wheel. I have to turn the wheel a little to make it work sometimes. I've been to lazy to pull it apart and fix it.

Theres a post of mine out there with a "quick fix" its not necessarily the correct way to fix it but eventually the cruise will stop working too b/c of this...I just shimmed the plate so it made contact with the 2 copper fittings again... to find it, its under one of the cruise control problem threads...

Edited by unccpathfinder

Theres a post of mine out there with a "quick fix" its not necessarily the correct way to fix it but eventually the cruise will stop working too b/c of this...I just shimmed the plate so it made contact with the 2 copper fittings again... to find it, its under one of the cruise control problem threads...

My cruise doesn't run through there, 93 and older it's on the trun signal lever :aok: