Engine and transmission replacement process

Roost

I had stated earlier in my "transmission help" thread that I was also replacing my engine. I am now nearing the point of putting the new engine in. I have to prime the new oil pump and install the oil pan. Yeah, I have spent way more money on this than I would have ever anticipated.

I finally got a good engine on the third attempt. The nice thing about buying local, when the first one had the wrong crank, he replaced the engine. When the second engine was burnt, he replaced it and apologized repeatedly about it needing a third and how the 2nd should have never made it out of his shop, being in that condition. The third engine is beautiful. But of course, needed more than I had anticipated.

The new engine oil pump wouldn't work on this application and I won't trust the old one at 160,000 miles. $200 for new oil pump. Oh yeah, threw away the oil pump gasket that came with the new front main seal because I didn't think I would need it. Another $15 for new seals. I had to modify a bracket so the new headers would fit. No money, but another head ache. Also had to modify(bend) the exhaust tube from the header to the intake. No money, just another head ache. Took the oil pan off twice, once for the oil pump install and the second to prime the new oil pump. Oops, I forgot.

The exhaust bolts that I picked up to replace the manifold bolts, where to long. I got those replaced free when I went to pick up the oil pump. I didn't originally purchase the bolts from the same place. They had pity on this old, greasy, busted up, wanna be mechanic.

I decided to wrap the new headers after I had ordered and received the headers. Another $11 for handling charges for the exhaust wrap kit.

This is all after having to carve my old exhaust system up to get it apart. And then reaming off the O2 sensor in the exhaust and needing to buy another. $35 for new O2 sensor with a lot of shipping head aches, gotta love Ebay. Also had to buy a new O2 bung to replace the one that is now eternally plugged with the remnants of the old O2 sensor. $18 for new bung hole. Wife now want to kick my old bung hole. :FartExplode-vi:.

More updates, head aches and pics to follow.

Edited by Roost

The engine went in tonight. It fought me the whole way, of course. But I think we will try to get the transmission in tomorrow, after I wrap the headers. I coated them with high temp. enamel first to get the good base before I put the wrap on and then seal it with a additional coat over the wrap. I think this will make a quality wrap and seal that should last a good long time. Of course, with my luck, it will fall off after I put it on, on my way home.

Hey man, good to hear the battle is almost over, sounds like its been a crazy job. I just bought some Pacesetter headers and am plannin on addin some ceramic or high temp paint to them. Do you need to sand them right down and get all the paint off? or just scuff the paint so the ceramic coating will stick?

THIS website says that you just need to rough up the paint, but then wouldn't it just flake and ruin the coating if you leave it on there?

thanks for any advice.

Hey man, good to hear the battle is almost over, sounds like its been a crazy job. I just bought some Pacesetter headers and am plannin on addin some ceramic or high temp paint to them. Do you need to sand them right down and get all the paint off? or just scuff the paint so the ceramic coating will stick?

THIS website says that you just need to rough up the paint, but then wouldn't it just flake and ruin the coating if you leave it on there?

thanks for any advice.

I just scuffed them up with a green scouring pad. I then painted them with the ceramic high temp. paint. I went against some popular suggestion and wrapped the headers today and I am waiting for them to dry to put the outer ceramic spray onto the wrap.

I started to get a few things done today on the transmission to get in reinstalled. I had to remove the rear transfer case housing off the old transmission and transfer in to the new transfer case. It holds the 4wd indicator sensor and the transfer case did not have a port for it. So I had to also go get some more gray RTV, since we use a whole tube of it on the engine oil pan. Oh, also had to buy a new rear output seal, as it would probably leak. It won't be in until Monday. One more delay, gotta love it.

Cleaned up around the shop a little bit and then welded on the new bung ring over the old O2 sensor hole. It was stripped out something nasty while removing the old sensor.

OK...it's being a slow process, but the transmission/transfer is ready to go in. It's on the jack, under the truck and ready to go up. We ran out of time last night and I had to call it quits after getting the transmission cooler sandwiched in.

We got the transmission in place last night and I bolted the fly wheel to the torque converter the hard but safe way through the starter hole. I did a little happy dance once the 4th bolt was in and started, then went and tightened all of them down good. I then put the drive shafts in and connected the transfer case linkage. We got some of the electrical connections put together on the top side, as well.

Hopefully I can get to a point that I can crank up the engine tonight, but I think that might be a little out of reach.

Semper Fi

Just got back from the transplant operation of the PF. I had to cut it short because some dumb dumb, forgot to put the liners in his motorcycle pants and the temp. was dropping to below 40F.

Got all the sensors into the transmission, the filter changed and the pan with the gasket back on. Realized that I forgot to put in the sensor that goes on top of the transmission, so I will have to lower the tranny a bit to get the one lone sensor put back in. I'm full of dumb dumb moments lately. I also had my lovely bride drop off the headers this morning so that they where at the garage for me. Ain't she grand!

We'll get back to it tomorrow and hopefully get a lot more progress on this thing.

Semper Fi

Lowered the transmission and inserted the lone sensor. Put the starter in and connected it up. Put the passenger side header in and got the driver side in place ready to be bolted in. This header is going to be a pain in the arse, for sure. Put the front grill fascia and the marker lights back in. :wacko:

No headers, AARRGH. They won't work and I am a little miffed about it, to say the least :rant2: . I would have to reroute some brake lines, move this and that, and that just isn't worth going through or sacrificing for a little sound and ponies. Got the original manifolds put back on and started fitting the exhaust system together so that we can weld the pieces that need to be welded, back together.

Had to leave the project earlier than I wanted to attend a rally that I help organize. Well worth it, as the BBQ and company was great.

One more update if anyone is actually tracking progress besides my wife. The old exhaust system is put back together, which was quite a feat, let me tell ya. We didn't take a great amount of care when we had to cut the Y-pipe off to get the system off. But it is now back together, well, sort of. I didn't bother to get the gaskets to reinstall the factory exhaust, I was going to put on the headers. WRONG. But, a lot of patience, three different types of welding and a bit more time than I expected, it's back together. Tomorrow I will pick up the gasket and finish the exhaust system and maybe start getting the transmission lines reinstalled and take them through the new cooler.

haha....sweet keep her goin...did you get that email the other night BTW?

Things are starting to blend together and with the holidays, I don't remember :wacko: .

I hope it was good. :tonguefinger:

Sounds good to me. I hope that I will have the time to get some wheeling time in with ya. Let me know when your going to be in town and maybe we can do breakfast or something :coffee!: at least.

I took some time off for the holidays to spend with the family and now should hit it hard again tonight. But alas, other things will have to happen first. The A/C compressor on the wife's car seized on us, on the way to the beach, this past weekend. Had to buy a new one for $260 today and am going to install tonight, hopefully.

IT"S ALIVE, IT"S ALIVE...runs like crap...but, IT'S ALIVE :lmao: . I can't keep it running long enough to get around to the throttle under the hood and adjust the timing,but IT'S ALIVE. The transmission is working fine, that is, with all four tires off the ground. The exhaust system is smoking like a drunk slut in a bar :tonguefinger: , but I did soaked it with PB Blaster during removal. Now just have to find all the vacuum hoses that I didn't get hooked back up and adjust the timing. Then I will put the torsion bars backs on, the front tires on and then drop it and head on down the road.

I may have fried the stereo though. I can turn it on and go through the channels and get the CD player to work, but no sound to the speakers, at all.

But IT'S ALIVE.......

Semper Fi

Them Vacuum lines are important for it to run correctly.... You can adjust the timing via the distributor, a little bit at a time until you can get around to throw a light on it... You could also be lucky like I was and be off a couple of teeth... talk about fun trying to figure out...

But IT'S ALIVE.......

its a great feeling isnt it...mine ran like poop after my swap b/c the timing was way the hell off and I swore I messed up the TB but it was just the dizzy

Congrats

Let me know when your going to be in town and maybe we can do breakfast or something Just_Cuz_12.gif at least.

Yea I'll try to remember to give you a shout...I got so much stuff going on while I'm there but if I get the truck done and I'm driving it I should remember...

Edited by unccpathfinder

Them Vacuum lines are important for it to run correctly.... You can adjust the timing via the distributor, a little bit at a time until you can get around to throw a light on it... You could also be lucky like I was and be off a couple of teeth... talk about fun trying to figure out...

Oh...thanks for that :shiftyeyes: . My luck is historic when it come to mechanical issues and this transplant is no exception. It was the third engine to get it started right. And that was only the beginning, the list could go on and on. :wtf:

It's all good, though. Thanks for reminding me that I am not the only unlucky guy out there :lol: .

Found the vacuum leak that was keeping it from running. In the process of assembling the engine, one of the rubber O rings that go on the intake manifold and is for the injectors, never made it on. BIG air leak. Of course, nobody has it tonight, so I have to order it tomorrow and hopefully get the whole upper side of the engine put back together and timed correctly.

Same batty place, same batty time..