FUEL /TEMP GAUGE

sleepysal

Ok so I did a serach and found a fix, but before I go tearing apart my dash let me ask you.

My fuel and temp gauges sometimes will "peg" reading hot,and full, then after about 15 min it goes back to working fine.

you guys think it may just need "the fix"? or is it something else? thanks

First off you don't mention year. This will only fix the guages up to and not including 95.....I beleive :hide: .

Typically your gauges will drop instead of spiking. This is because the voltage regulator fails as it heats and you get no voltage to the gauges therefore the needle drops. The spiking would suggest more of a spike in voltage which is non-typical of a voltage regulator going bad (not to say it couldn't happen). So long story short.....possible, yet not probable.

This being said....the fix is a couple of dollars plus at worst an hour of your time. It might still be worth a try.

Same symptoms here, on my 92 SE. Started a long time ago,they would peg but then read right after a while. After they did that for a couple years, they stopped reading right altogether. There is no wiring diagram for the instrument cluster in my Chilton book, so I don't have much to go on, but I have seen a diagram on this board. Judging from that diagram I think it still must be the regulator, because there is no other component that the gas and temp gauges have in common. Everything else in the cluster works right, so I know it has power and ground. I plan on changing mine soon.

Well I did the 2 min fix. So far so good. The hardest part was 1) finding the volt reg ( Frys had them I have the part # if anyone needs it ) and 2) soldering it, Its a real easy fix ! Thanks to all

Go ahead and post the part number. I may need to do this in the future. It would be nice to have it archived on the forum.

Mark

Go ahead and post the part number. I may need to do this in the future. It would be nice to have it archived on the forum.

Mark

the part is a NTE964 , the guy at frys was zero help, I had to cross the part # I had .

So far so good !

Edited by sleepysal