Slow Power Windows

statikuz

Hey, I figured someone else had this problem at one point or another, so I searched around for it but came up blank... so I'm asking. =) Anyway, my power windows, mostly the front ones, are oddly slow lately, compared to their usual snappiness. They don't go up with near the speed and power [that power windows can have] as they used to, almost to the point of being downright sluggish. Anyone know the problem? Could it be the power window assembly inside the door panel itself? Or maybe a wiring issue? Thanks!

Could also be your switches slowly going. Mine did this for the passenger side, where it slowed, then intermittenly wouldn't work, then nothing (but still worked on the passenger door switch). I just pulled the switch, popped off the toggle part, and moved the underlying switch to figure out this was the problem. Just trimmed the front and back of the toggle portion to allow more travel in the switch, and it still works fine a year later.

Every time my '91 has had this problem, the window regulators have had to be replaced. Nissan didn't design the regulators very well. The cable tends to cut into the plastic guides, making the window sluggish. The regulators can be had for around $70 for OEM. All 4 of mine have had to be replaced over the last 13 years. The replacements may be better than the factory originals, though. Never have had to replace them again (and the first two went out at years 5 & 6).

Is that $70 APIECE?

Seriously, pull the switch(es) apart and check that first. That possible repair is free. At most, it may waste 5 minutes per, but it could save you a lot of time and $$$ in the long run. Process of elimination, my friend.

Alrighty, checked out the driver's window today... it almost seems like its binding up for a second when rolling down, it makes a "chunk" noise then rolls down the rest of the way without much trouble. Still rolls up relatively slow. Took some WD-40 and cleaned all the old grease off of the window regulator and regreased it with some lithium grease, which didn't really help the problem. Also adjusted the front sash/channel with the little screw in the bottom right corner, pushed it back [towards the rear] as far as it would go and that marginally helped. The switch isn't the problem, but that is a good suggestion. =) Anyways, I figure I might be in need of a new regulator/motor. Any ideas?

There's all sorts of 'em on eBay... should I stay away from the aftermarket ones or is it all the same difference?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33706

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33706

Or is this one my best bet? I don't have a local Nissan dealer so I can't really get one from them, although I suppose I could call up the closest one and have them ship it to me...?

http://www.nissanpartspro.com/cgi-bin/part...odel=Pathfinder