Pulling out the 3.0

Xmas

Pulling out the 3.0 this weekend.

Anyone here done it? How much time did it take for you do get it done. I never pulled a engine, but going to be doing it this Friday. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

So anytips before removing any bolts ect would be greatly apperciated :) .

Search the board for info and tips, there are a number of us who have pulled/replaced our engines :aok:

You should e able to get it out in a day.. and that is allotting time for problems and delays.. but the actual amount of time will vary greatly on how many problems you encounter... such as stuck or stripped bolts ;)

Go through the manual(s).. what ever manual(s) you have on hand and before very familiar with the process before starting.. make it second nature!

And you've got 3-3.5 days before you start? Break out the PB Blaster (or another quality penetrating oil) and start hosing down all bolts and anything else that has to be loosened (check the manual for this info).. couples times a day till you start, should make life easier :beer:

if your memory sucks or if your swap is going to take more than a couple days, I reco the following:

Each set of bolts you pull should be put in a sandwich bag and labled.

Pay special attention to variations in size (like the water pump bolts) that can cause problems is not put back in the right hole

quick digital pics of things before you pull the apart could help get it all back in place at the end (vac lines etc)

don't forget the top bolt or two (hard to get at) holding the bell housing to the engine.

get a variety of extensions and at least 2 u-joints for your sockets.

and ... most important...

if you get stuck... get your arse on here and ask. Lots of us have done it.

if your memory sucks or if your swap is going to take more than a couple days, I reco the following:

Each set of bolts you pull should be put in a sandwich bag and labled.

Pay special attention to variations in size (like the water pump bolts) that can cause problems is not put back in the right hole

quick digital pics of things before you pull the apart could help get it all back in place at the end (vac lines etc)

don't forget the top bolt or two (hard to get at) holding the bell housing to the engine.

get a variety of extensions and at least 2 u-joints for your sockets.

and ... most important...

if you get stuck... get your arse on here and ask. Lots of us have done it.

good advice...i can add dont drop axle on hand...it requires medical attention...

Edited by unccpathfinder