Distributor Cap positon

texasbudman

I was changing out the wires plugs and distibutor cap...

However, I knocked the original and was not 100% sure I put it back right (I'm like 90% sure I put it right)... I got a nasty knocking noise comming out that I'm tring to pin point and want to rule out the distributor cap... can anyone help a brother out... I ck'ed my Haynes manual but it dosen't help much...

Thanks

dissy cap is fool proof...only goes on 1 way...now if you got the order goofed up on the plug wires or that will cause a problem...

you may also want to inspect the rotor...

Thanks for the help... actually two of the point were corroded really bad... my buddy came by for a quick glance (he had a date) but told me to rule out the cap positioning... he said it might be a valve because it dosen't seem that the two point in question had fired in a while... thata show me for not cking it more thoughly before buying it...

Anyhow thanks agian... my buddy is a REAL mechanic... I just know enough to get myself into trouble!!!!

so is it fixed now? Also make sure the plug wires seat all the way down into the dizzy cap...I had some issues with the wires that wheelman had on hat engine I got from him and evidently he had been driving it a while with them "disconnected" the boots didnt let the wire seat into the cap and you could see all of the arc's where it had been missing...I guess the impact of the wreck knocked 2 loose b/c it ran like ass and then I did some inspecting and got it fixed B4 I gave him the yea I want it...

so is it fixed now? Also make sure the plug wires seat all the way down into the dizzy cap...I had some issues with the wires that wheelman had on hat engine I got from him and evidently he had been driving it a while with them "disconnected" the boots didnt let the wire seat into the cap and you could see all of the arc's where it had been missing...I guess the impact of the wreck knocked 2 loose b/c it ran like ass and then I did some inspecting and got it fixed B4 I gave him the yea I want it...

It turns on... but clanks something ugly!!! and will eventually cut off... Idol is for crap too... I've cked the wire several times already... I guess once more won't hurt... I'm really not sure what to do now... thats why I called for backup... but I guess my buddies date went pretty well... He's MIA....hahah

Edited by texasbudman

check for error codes tex. garage ->> how to's

You know I would have proably never thought to search for the codes... Thank you very much, I really appreciate it... I may have a truck after all...

I am so glad I found this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!