Sources for aftermarket body parts etc

madkiwi

I am replacing my oem headlights with European spec lighting. Due to the fact that we have non-standard rectangular headlights (with that bevelled corner) I was told the "simple" way to do it would be to bolt on the grille, corner lamps and sealed-beam headlight mounts from a 1990-92 Hardbody. Then I would get Hella 200mm H4 headlights and use those (instead of sealed beams).

So I started looking for online parts places, and found a couple places that had the parts I needed. When I started comparing pricing, here is what I found:

The total for all the parts from each place was between $159 and $162. But when I started looking at shipping each showed shipping at $28.95, handling at $33.75 and California sales tax. I was kind of puzzled at how these different sites had the exact same amounts for shipping and "handling".

Well, it got more intriguing in a hurry. Starting from Google and searching for "Nissan pickup grille" I managed to find 8 supposedly different companies selling these things, and all had the same: part numbers, website formats and all had CA taxes and identical shipping and handling. I'm sure there are more, but I gave up counting. Some of them are Parts Train, Automotix.com, Car Parts Wholesale, Sppedy Auto Parts, Fast Auto Body Parts, Nissan Auto Body Part Store etc.

Can anyone point me to some body parts places that don't collect CA sales tax, and don't charge 40% above invoice for "shipping and handling"?

Thanks,

madkiwi

A TON of those places are basically the same company, as you've found out. =) I think they're based in CA, so they have to charge CA sales tax... I ordered some stuff from US Auto Parts [same as all those], but I live in NV, so they didn't charge sales tax. I'm not so sure about any other good body parts places... like others are probably going to say, your best bet is probably cannibalizing the local junkyards. =(

Nissanpartspro is another of the uber-auto-parts-company's sites. =) Same item pictures and item numbers as all the other ones...

Yup, same guys.

I found autodirectsave.com, they are in Oregon, prices were about the same but I have to either call or wait to hear back on shipping costs. Pretty sure they are not associated with the other guys, totally different MO.

I just feel raped if the shipping handling and sales tax add $75 to my $160 order, you know what I mean? So used to free shipping from amazon.com

madkiwi

Statikuz

Don't talk to me about Summit. I ordered a set of 5 US Wheel model 94 (black center, chrome rim) steel wheels on April 21st. At the time they said May 16th delivery. On May 20 I phoned them, they said May 29th. On June 3rd I went to their website and punched in my order number, it said they would receive the wheels June 29th.

I cancelled the order yesterday.

I may never order from them again.

madkiwi

Hey well, I've never had any problems with them. Usually stuff ships from their Sparks warehouse, which isn't too far from here. I've never ordered anything entirely big, like a full set of wheels, but all my orders have gone off without a hitch. Anyway, to each their own I guess. That'll teach you to shop local! JK. =)

Statikuz

Don't talk to me about Summit. I ordered a set of 5 US Wheel model 94 (black center, chrome rim) steel wheels on April 21st. At the time they said May 16th delivery. On May 20 I phoned them, they said May 29th. On June 3rd I went to their website and punched in my order number, it said they would receive the wheels June 29th.

I cancelled the order yesterday.

I may never order from them again.

madkiwi

Jeeze! You'd think you had a special order shipped to Russia or something. That's crazy. On a randomly associated thought, has anyone tried fitting HID lights into a Pathy. I was almost considering the idea looking at various HID set-ups available on ebay and such. I know it requires some heavy wiring and such, but darn.

I've got a better idea. Give me all the money you were gonna spend on HID. =) Seriously though, I've never really looked into it, just never seemed worth all the work and stuff just to get the cool blue look. I'm just as 'appy with my PIAA Super Xtreme Plus Xtra Ultra Gee Whillikers Plasma White bulbs.

Mr Pickles

A HID system is very pricey for what you get. I'm budgeting about $250 for my conversion to European spec headlights. I already have upgraded to 10g wiring and relays for my oem lighting, so I may put in 100/90 watt H4 bulbs when I do the conversion. Such a system will put HID to shame.

Besides, when you convert to HID you probably are just getting another lousy DoT approved light pattern. Such a waste. Get an E-code system and you get more usable light on the road where you need it and not in oncoming driver's eyes.

madkiwi

Trying to figure out what part of the world you live in, but with a user name like madkiwi must mean an NZ connection somewhere along the line.

If so i know where to source the blocks and bolts locally. About $110 including shipping.

Pete.

Hi Diesel Boy,

I know you are in NZ because if you drive a diesel Pathy you are not in my neck of the woods! (Figured that before I hit your member page)

I am a Kiwi, now living in San Francisco, California. Been here for 11 years. It took me a long time to realize how bad my headlights were compared to what I was used to. The US Goobermint has some pretty strange ideas about that. I always thought that looking at the road was especially hard with oncoming traffic, so much light in your eyes. Just wasn't like that back home.

So in NZ I am pretty sure you are running E-code lighting from the factory, I think only the US, Canada and Mexico use anything else.

And you can see from my first post I have to go through a major operation to mount E-code lights. Now if I could get the parts I need from NZ and get them here I would do it. BUT postage would be prohibitively expensive.

madkiwi

You would probably be better off getting them from NZ. I don't think shipping would be that bad actually. Would be cheaper if you have family coming from NZ soon, then can be put in luggage.

That's usually what we do. Have family in Sydney, so they bring stuff when the come over and vise versa.

That's interesting,,, I had no idea that headlights where different in different countries... Seems like there would be one standard way to have them and that would be it.

So, what exactly is different about the e-code lights? Other than they seem to point more toward the road than in oncomming traffics eyes.

Can't you just adjust your headlights so they point down without changing them?

Seriously guys, if you are in North America then do some reading about E-code lights (Googling is wonderful, isn't it?) if this mildly interests you. Hella sells a 200mm H4 e-code light that is a direct fit for the old 6054 sealed beam lights that were standard in the 80's and early 90's (200mm is 7.87 inches, guess what size a 6054 sealed beam is?). Best deal I found is at rallylights.com. Well, the 1990-92 Nissan Hardbody pickup used those sealed beams, and the hardware for them bolts straight on to our 1990-95 Pathfinders.

So you buy Hardbody headlight mounts and grille (the 93-97 grille also fits, but the earlier one looks like our Pathfinder grille). You can re-use your corner lights, but the finish will be cleaner with Hardbody ones.

You could also just buy the headlight mounts and put them in the Pathfinder I suppose, but it would look pretty ghetto. Besides that beveled inside lower corner (which you might have to trim with a Dremel), the stock composite headlights are 9" x 6.5" so there would be a wide gap around the lights.

The solution to bad lighting in the US is not about wattage/light output, it is about where the light goes. DOT regs say some light has to go up to illuminate overhead freeway signs. WTF? That's pretty dumb. When's the last time you saw one that didn't have it's own lighting? Anyway that leads to light shining in oncoming drivers' eyes. HID lighting (in the US) is not a significant improvement because the reflectors and direction of the beams are still governed by the same rules.

madkiwi

The solution to bad lighting in the US is not about wattage/light output, it is about where the light goes. DOT regs say some light has to go up to illuminate overhead freeway signs. WTF? That's pretty dumb. When's the last time you saw one that didn't have it's own lighting? Anyway that leads to light shining in oncoming drivers' eyes. HID lighting (in the US) is not a significant improvement because the reflectors and direction of the beams are still governed by the same rules.

madkiwi

Um, try leaving the city. There are quite a few unlit signs once you get into the sticks.

Mr Pickles.

Please note that I (and the DoT) refer to overhead FREEWAY signs. If you have overhead signs on secondary country roads I would say you are in some other country. How often do you see these? How often have you seen them not self-lit?

E-code lighting throws a beam up and to the right to illuminate the shoulder and signs on the side of the road (isn't that where you see signs on country roads?). It cuts off light above a certain point in the middle and left. This applies to low beam only, on high beam lighting while concentrated forward, does illuminate upwards as well.

DoT testing involves shining a light on a wall and demanding a certain percentage of DIRECT lighting goes up. They do not take into account any reflected lighting from the ground, but the experience in Europe is that the reflected lighting is more than adequate to illuminate reflectorized overhead signage.

Listen, I'm not here to rehash the arguments or convince you to change your life. I couldn't care less. If you are happy, great. If you want to understand the differences, try Googling "e-code headlight". I'm here to look for body parts suppliers, and I decided to encourage others to look into the situation. Not my job to make a convert.

jdub,

The 1990-1992 grille looks the same as the 1990-95 Pathfinder one. The picture you are looking at is the restyled 1993-1997 Hardbody version.

madkiwi

Yeah, thats my old 93 Hardbody. I actually like that grille better then the other style. I also like the Hardbody hood, they don't have the slots on the front edge of it.