Did I introduce air into my lines?

LD50

Just replaced the front brake pads on the pathfinder, everything went well. Took my test drive and the pedal is soft, I know this usually means time to bleed the system, but could simply changing my pads introduce air? or do i just need to do some pedal pumping so everything sets in? Fluid level is good and the brake pedal had fine pressure this morning. Also, the brakes work well and i can squeal the tires on a quick stop.... but i have to push the pedal almost all the way in.

Edited by LD50

If you just replaced pads and didnt open the system at all, you shouldn't of got air in. That is unless you let the Master cylinder fluid level go to low. If that was ok, did you burn the pads in correctly? You should of done a series of stops to "burn" the pads into the rotors. Next question would be did you change or resurface the rotors? The new pads need something to bite into. All of these things can cause strange pedal feel. Also, some cheap pads can give that weak pedal feel. I have experience this a couple of times on different vehicles. Swapped in different pads and they worked way better.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

The fluid is sitting at max in my MC, I did do some stop/go tests around the block a couple times. These pads were more expensive than the last ones, supposedly better quality. The rotors need to be changed, but I'm not up for that right now - going to do the suspension lift and everything all at once since I'll be down there.

In the meantime, grab some scotchbrite or sandpaper(not to agressive) and scuff the rotor surfaces inside and out. Go drive it up to 35mph and hit the brakes and keep pressure, but dont come to a complete stop. Do this 3 times then drive around and let the brakes cool. See if that helps.

Most people just squeeze the fluid back up the line into the master cylinder, If this is the case you should not have introduced air into the lines However you could have pushed back some pretty foul fluid into the master cylinder along with some water that may have made it into the lines. I always open the bleed screw and squeeze the piston into a container to avoid pushing nasties into the master cylinder. I am Also so anal as to change the entire system's brake fluid. This is why a lot of people have there master cylinder go bad right after changing their brakes. I recommend an entire brake fluid change but at least give them a good blead

Mark

The fluid is sitting at max in my MC, I did do some stop/go tests around the block a couple times. These pads were more expensive than the last ones, supposedly better quality. The rotors need to be changed, but I'm not up for that right now - going to do the suspension lift and everything all at once since I'll be down there.

Bleed them. Next time after shutting off the truck, press and hold the brake pedal about 10 times before working on the brakes. this will save the need of bleeding them, and after replacing the pads, make the pedal feel much firmer.