how to located exhaust rattles

sigtauenus

Short of going to the dealership or midas, how do I find that annoying exhaust rattle?

98 Pathfinder, 150,000 miles.

Its not continuous, just seems to be when the engine is under load.

I've heard of cracked manifolds, busted bolts, loose heat shields, etc. I looked over the exhaust from front to back and can't see anything glaring.

Any suggestions? Should I just take it to a pro? I don't mind paying a $60 diagnostic that tells me what the problem is, as that's quickly cheaper than replacing the wrong parts.

Hi

It might net even be your exhaust. It could be your fuel and be detonation? depending on how much noise is made under load if you have or know someone who has a timing light try and adjust the timing

Detonation can sound like exhaust rattles, it can detonate if it gets hot also

Sorry if ive confused you. oh yeah and good luck

i had a exhaust rattle a little while back checked everything and it was ok. Mine would rattle when slowing down from 100km/h. I narrowed it down to something loose inside the muffler and replaced that. It's gone now but only really a temporary fix for me

I have a exhaust rattle and found two brackets with rubber insulators that have torn free from themselves, causing the exhaust to rest on the frame and brackets. Ordered the bracket yesterday from the dealership, as I could not find these parts on any of the regular site that I go to for auto parts.

I hope that the rattle is removed when the new brackets are installed. Of course, I have to get the new engine in before I can tell if that solves my rattling issues. But hey, if it doesn't, I have a new little boy, 2 1/2 weeks old, that may love the rattling.

Semper Fi

Do what I do, just live with it till you are driving down the road and it gets quiet. Then you know whatever was rattling just fell off and will no longer bother you. :D

(Truth to a point, had a rattle and lost it half way up the Smokey Mountains along with a distinct clang as a piece of metal hit the pavement and bounced away.) :blush02: