Reseach: Timing Belt, Water Pump And Ac

feloniousmonk

Doing more research before I bite the bullet and buy a Pathy. How difficult is it to change the timing belt and water pump? I've seen the parts on ebay, they don't seem too expensive. Can the procedure be done with common hand tools?

Also, is it common to have the A/C not work? The truck I've been pondering doesn't blow cold. I know it could be just a simple recharge that's needed, but want to know more avoid paying too much for the truck...

Look in the Garage How-To section for how to change the t-belt and WP...

AC problems are actually fairly common but usually easily fixable. Try a recharge first. Others will chime in on the AC topic and fill in blanks I don't have answers for, I'm sure. :)

yea what 88 said.. fairly easy on the first two.. the AC.. depends what's wrong with it.. may have to have it tasted to see if it's got any leaks.. this part is somewhat expensive as AC shops aren't cheap. i'd guesstimate at least $200.

yeah, my AC never worked when i got it. i didn't get it fixed till a year later, only cause people kept complaining that i didn't have AC (it's as hot as tits in my part of CA, btw)

only my AC was never fixed. it cost $80 USD for the recharge, then another 260 for the test for leaks. at the end of the test, no leaks were found (the way they tested was to run a red dye throughout my AC system and check for any bleeding; no dye was found). however, about 2 weeks later, the AC didn't work again. so my guess is there's a reallllly slow leak somewhere.

not that you need AC anyway. just roll down the windows :happy:

My A/C blows cold in my old & new one; never had it charged yet; my parts pathy still blows freezing cold air.

Only downside to a Pathy is frame rust (in some areas of the country that use way 2 much road salt, and gas mileage.

Everything else is workable (IMO)

Ive done several waterpump/t-belt jobs ranging from a mazda mx6(the worst one) buick lesabre(easiest one) dodge pickup(pain in da a$$ fan clutch but no t-belt) and a pathy!For the most part the pathy water pump and t-belt was fairly basic and easy! As far as The a/c goes, you should shop around and find shops that will do an "a/c tune up" Which is recharging the a/c(up to a certain # of ounces of freon) and adding leak detector dye. :shrug: Maybe its only shops around here that do this because some people find it cheaper to refill their a/c unit every year then to actually have it fixed! Anyway good luck on your choice! Ive been waiting for you to say"hey guys this is her" next to a picture of your new pathy!

Thanks for the info guys. I'm back on the hunt. The 95 I was looking at didn't pan out. Seller was not willing to budge on price (3400) despite the fact that it needed a belt job (according to the seller's own mechanic). More waiting... this is killing me.