Mech Locker Or Lsd

02silverpathy

Hey guys, I don't post up here often but I am interested in regearing my rig, the 4.36's just suck...I have a local that has the 4.63's I am not sure if the rear is open or not. I want to know if it is worth the effort getting a factoy lsd 4.63 vs open 4.63 and then if an LSD is better that a mech locker...I primarily drive on road, my plans (again, with this rig) is to go offroad...to a mediocre capacity.

I have read that mech lockers are pretty awesome, but not on icy roads. I live in MD and icy will show up here about every Winter...help me out ! Please!

....I am really jealous of the new Silverado and its mech locker----------is there anything like it that I can get for my rig??

Edited by 98silverpathy

You can't get a mechanical locker for an R50. The only locker option you have is the ARB air locker. Great unit, but pricey. You can turn it completely off when not in use, so, when you're driving in the winter, and turn it on when you're wheeling. When not in use, it's an open unit, not LSD.

Yep, the only locking diff available for the 33-spline H233B is the ARB. Read about my rear ARB installation and simultaneous gear-swap from 4.363 to 4.636 here. BTW, the ARB replaces the entire diff carrier, so it doesn't matter if you have an open or LSD.

Edited by XPLORx4

the best part of the arb is on the road it is open and off the road it is locked;

I am getting one for my 95 which could use mechanical but in WI the damn ICE & Snow & add towing a snowmobile trailer = spend extra $ on an air locker (I was going to get a cheaper mechanical locker until I though about an unexpected offroad adventure with sled & trailer attached.

Worth the extra $ for peace of mind/safety.