Head Bolts

kiwininja

So, I've pulled the heads off my engine so I could remove the broken exhaust studs. Now I need to reassemble everything. I've ordered a gasket kit from Parts Dinosaur and I called the dealership about the head bolts. They quoted me $140 for a set and they would have to order them. Why on earth are these so expensive? Does anyone have a cheaper source for getting these things? I don't want to have to reuse the old bolts, but there is no way I'm paying that much for a set of head bolts. Does anyone know if ARP makes studs for these motors? I've been searching, but I haven't found a clear answer so far.

According to the info I have heard, any cylinder head that is aluminum gets new bolts each time. You must use new bolts each time they are reattached because of the much greater expansion due to temerature that aluminum exhibits but steel or cast iron heads don't.

Engineer enters room to add his $.02

Because of the number of moronic gorillas disguised as "mechanics" running around out there, we need to recommend using new bolts every time on critical fasteners, or else their screw ups get blamed on us.

The rest of the story: If the bolts were correctly torqued EVERY time, they will be OK to reuse.

However, if they are EVER overtorqued, even ONE time, they will not apply the correct clamping force.

So, if you know the head bolts had never been removed, you will be OK to reuse them. But if Igor's Garage and Moving Company had pulled the heads back in '98, get new bolts.

Also, after 3 or 4 uses, it would be wise to replace them. When fully torqued, they do experience a tiny amount of plastic deformation that adds up.