Roof Rack

norcalpathy

Where do they sell roof racks for the R50? (does it even matter, or are roof racks somewhat "universal"?)

I'm starting to piece together (very slowly) the parts that will eventually make my R50 not so stock.

And while we're at it, where is a good place to get some 32s/33s? What brand is best, and what type of tire?

Define "roof rack". Are you looking for a stock rack? If so, SE/LE type? Or is it crossbars you're looking for? If you're looking for one like mine, a 2002-2004 type like this:

HPIM0409.jpg

then PM 97vapathy (Paul), he's selling a Loadwarrior with extension in great condition, 4 KC daylighters with wiring and mounts for the Loadwarrior AND his 2003 roof rack (same one as mine)

Define "roof rack". Are you looking for a stock rack? If so, SE/LE type? Or is it crossbars you're looking for? If you're looking for one like mine, a 2002-2004 type like this:

HPIM0409.jpg

then PM 97vapathy (Paul), he's selling a Loadwarrior with extension in great condition, 4 KC daylighters with wiring and mounts for the Loadwarrior AND his 2003 roof rack (same one as mine)

Could you tell me what basket that is and how you mounted it to the cross bars. none of the manufacturers (yak, thule) claim to have the right mounts, at least the way i read there charts. Thanks. According to them, the load warrior won't work...

HPIM0409.jpg

I'm not looking for crossbars, I'm looking for one to possibly mount gear, or the spare for my future offroad tires.

Could you tell me what basket that is and how you mounted it to the cross bars. none of the manufacturers (yak, thule) claim to have the right mounts, at least the way i read there charts. Thanks. According to them, the load warrior won't work...

It's a Con Ferr rack which has since gone out of business. They were out of Burbank, CA. Their products are now sold under a new name using the same design, the Defender series. The original mounting hardware I had for it required me to REMOVE the SE racks completely and slide the basket into the stock gutters on the left and right hand sides of the roof. I wanted to keep the SE rack so I got 6 stainless U-Bolts with hardened lock washers, washers and nuts and attatched the basket to my 2 stock crossbars; 3 U Bolts on the front one, 3 on the back. Otherwise, there are no factory type/mainstream MFG'ed brackets to use with these SE racks. Just make some thing up, anythings possible :D

It's been about 3 months now and thins thing's tough as nails and has NEVER budged one bit.

Edited by navygz19

It's a Con Ferr rack which has since gone out of business. They were out of Burbank, CA. Their products are now sold under a new name using the same design, the Defender series. The original mounting hardware I had for it required me to REMOVE the SE racks completely and slide the basket into the stock gutters on the left and right hand sides of the roof. I wanted to keep the SE rack so I got 6 stainless U-Bolts with hardened lock washers, washers and nuts and attatched the basket to my 2 stock crossbars; 3 U Bolts on the front one, 3 on the back. Otherwise, there are no factory type/mainstream MFG'ed brackets to use with these SE racks. Just make some thing up, anythings possible :D

It's been about 3 months now and thins thing's tough as nails and has NEVER budged one bit.

Thanks very much. It looks great, and i appriciate you telling me how you did it. I thought that would work, but i kept seeing Yakima's universal mount on their website, it seems to have the SE shape, but they claim it won't work for some reason or another. I've been tempted to buy them and give them a try, but your method seems great and certainly cheaper.

Edited by PDCCD

You're welcome. Just remember, the tighter it's on there the better...my method certainly isn't the prettiest but it's incredibly sturdy and the mounting method doesn't interfere with anything I throw into the basket.

Edited by navygz19

I have the Yakima Load warrior basket on my 03' pathy attached to the stock nissan rack and cross bars. the yak basket comes with mounts that will pretty much attach to any factory cross bars(running side to side, not front to back).

Thank you. I assume your 03' has the SE style rack? The one with the oval cross bars? I figured it had to work, but i'll be damn if yakima claims it won't. Go figure... I'll never understand why a company dosn't do it's homework and research all the vehicles that their product will fit. Seems like they're giving up easy money to me. Thanks again guys. This may be a winter acquisition for me.

Edited by PDCCD