T-belt Job: Can This Be Done Without Draining Coolant?

robbie

Yeah as slick said loosen the belts and take them off then I believe you have to take off teh idler pulleys if you havent already. But I am not positive as your working on a 3.0vg and mine was the 3.3vg in an R50 I just do not know if and what the differences would be. If I recall I took off both idler pulleys, you will know when you take off the water pump as it might make a mess when you pop the seal and all the left over coolant in the motor comes out. definietely replace the water pump thermostat coolant bypass hose and belt tensioner. And ofcourse you will replace the seals if youare changing the cams. Oh and be careful taking off the crank pulley! If you already have then dont worry about what I said. I broke one of the grooves on mine and had to buy a new one.

Ok.. here's an update if anyone's interested. I got most everything off for the T-belt job except the crank pulley and water pump. I tried the crank pulley puller but the one I bought seemed too short. The middle rod only touches when it's almost all inside the middle hole of the crank pulley with three fork like things hanging out. So I looked at the pictures from the post and it looks like they have it off the car and is pulling it with the puller. So I unbolted all those little bolts and the brass parts came off with only the black core part still on the engine. The black core part doesn't wanna budge.

I guess I screwed up? I think I'm supposed to put everything back together and get a new puller and hook it into the last brass groove where the belt goes on and pull it, right?

Also when I pulled the thermostat coolant came gushing out onto the black core part of the crank pulley. Is that okay?

Well I think I'm well on my way to getting this job done thanks to you guys. This forum has some very cool guys on here. Thanks again!

if it is going to be a couple of days make sure you keep the lifters good and oiled up so the internal passages dont try out...I'd replace the Tstat while I was that far in and theres some coupling hose that people have had issues with (paging slick) and I would def do the water pump and valve cover gaskets along with the intake gasket...

Thanks again. I'll do the lifters in regular motor oil (right?) I have everything except the intake gasket? Do I just call up a shop and ask for an intake gasket?

Thanks again. I'll do the lifters in regular motor oil (right?) I have everything except the intake gasket? Do I just call up a shop and ask for an intake gasket?

you can just get it from a parts store...

So I unbolted all those little bolts and the brass parts came off with only the black core part still on the engine. The black core part doesn't wanna budge.

thats not good but its not too bad...you just have to make sure when the engine is at TDC that the timing marks line up at 0deg with the arrow on the timing cover case (i did this my 1st w/p job)

the crank pulley puller but the one I bought seemed too short

get a chicken foot puller...Dont use a clap puller it wont work or if it does it will screw something up...

Also when I pulled the thermostat coolant came gushing out onto the black core part of the crank pulley. Is that okay?

yea just clean everything up really well before you put it back together...

Put all the bolts back on the harmonic balancer and leave 2 out adjacent to each other so you can put a longer bolts for the puller...get a foghorn puller though and longer bolts and nuts so you can adjust the depth....whether you buy or rent a puller it doesnt come with the proper size bolt in the kit...Get a bolt in 6X60(3inches) 1.0 pitch IIRC or bring one of the bolt you took off from the pulley with you to your local hardware store match one like that just longer

crankpulley.jpg

Ok.. here's my latest update. I finally got the right chicken tool and got everything off. Everything is cool but the marks don't line up. I found a post that addresses this so I'll work on it. I had a few questions though:

What is recommended to clean coolant off the gears? Any ol' degreaser? And what is the silicone that I need to use to seal the thermostat? I couldn't find it at pepboys.

One more thing... for the camshaft install... what size should the "brass drift" be? and about the intake gasket.. I just ordered the following: NIS041951

14035V5202 Intake Manifold Gasket

90-94 (vg30e)

intake Man Gskt

Hope I got the right ones...

Thanks!

Edited by robbie

Ok.. here's my latest update. I finally got the right chicken tool and got everything off. But when I go line up the TDC to the dimple, the left cam (passenger side) lines up, but the right cam mark is past the dimple by like a tooth and a half. This is with the old belt still on there. Should I be lining it up so that they are both off evenly or is the passenger side cam lining up good enough?

Oh and what is recommended to clean coolant off the gears? Any ol' degreaser? And what is the silicone that I need to use to seal the thermostat? I couldn't find it at pepboys.

Oh and one more thing... for the camshaft install... what is a "brass drift"? And where can I get a "Dial Test Indicator and Magnetic base"? I tried Pepboys, Autozone and Napa and they didn't even know what it was.

Thanks!

damn, i've NEVER needed a puller to get my pulley's off... ah well, guess i'm lucky lol.

as for the cam, if it's just 1 tooth off, then it will be ok.... some are even 2 teeth off..... if you want to pull the VC, then you can, and loosen the rocker rod (my word for it lol..), it will make turning the cam smooth as butter, and you can get it lined up by itself without affecting TDC on the other cam or crank. (you can just slip the cam sprocket back on for this)

as for cleaning, god bless carb cleaner. yes, you heard me. carb cleaner. good stuff maynard. i swear by it. does wonders on intake plenums. (oh, gasoline works good too)

the intake plenum gasket...... i can only get em at NAPA around here...

blue silicone is good for the H2o pump... don't forget to use the gasket too ;) (hey! you'd be suprised at what I've seen!)

Ok.. here's my latest update. I finally got the right chicken tool and got everything off. Everything is cool but the marks don't line up. I found a post that addresses this so I'll work on it. I had a few questions though:

What is recommended to clean coolant off the gears? Any ol' degreaser? And what is the silicone that I need to use to seal the thermostat? I couldn't find it at pepboys.

One more thing... for the camshaft install... what size should the "brass drift" be? and about the intake gasket.. I just ordered the following: NIS041951

14035V5202 Intake Manifold Gasket

90-94 (vg30e)

intake Man Gskt

Hope I got the right ones...

Thanks!

On cleaning the gears I used crud cutter..works great..I used it on cleaning inside the timing belt housing in that area and wiped it dry with a terry cloth them I used a leaf blower to dry it real good...hair dryer would work too .

yea that what I called the chicken foot is foghorn the technical name? I have only heard of it as the "chicken foot" if it is...I usually pick up 3 studs where the image shows 2 but I guess thats up to you

UNC I was being a smart arse..hahaha ...I call it chicken foot also but foghorn (leghorn) makes it sound more technical

Ok... I have one question. I got the plenum chamber off. Man was that a royal pain. I just wanted to make sure that I did not have to drain the oil before taking off the valve cover. I imagine oil just flowing over everywhere once I start opening it.

Much appreciate!

nope just be careful with those phillips head screws and make sure you get all the coolant lines hooked back up when you reinstall it...I am having a hellof a time finding my leak and its from one of those on the rear side that goes to the intake

UNC I was being a smart arse..hahaha ...I call it chicken foot also but foghorn (leghorn) makes it sound more technical

only serious conversations are allowed on this board :sssh::beer: just wanted ot make sure i was in the right

Edited by unccpathfinder

OK, I finally got the valve cover off and for the Passenger side I see two rockers that's discolored brown. Does anyone know how bad this is and what might've caused it?

Also trying to undo the rear bolts for the camshaft without an "open jaw spanning tool" according to one how-to thread (not sure what that tool is.) Any ideas how I should hold the camshaft down while I undo the rear bolts?

CIMG2089.jpg

Edited by robbie

as for cleaning, god bless carb cleaner. yes, you heard me. carb cleaner. good stuff maynard. i swear by it. does wonders on intake plenums. (oh, gasoline works good too)

did you clean the inside of the plenum chambers with carb cleaner? mines coated black... i was wondering if it's advisable to clean it.

I did some reading and I think I need to replace all the discolored parts on the valve train. Man..... Well I guess it's better that I found it now. Anyone know a good place I can order all these valve related parts? InstockAuto doesn't seem to carry everything.

I just finished the camshaft job yesterday and I couldn't be happier. Thanks to you guys I actually got down to taking apart an engine! I probably asked too many questions here but it was my first time and was a little nervous about everything. But now I feel like T-belt job is a piece of cake!

She runs great! So much more power. I can go uphills through the canyons at 35 - 40mph at 1500 rpm now! I would normally be struggling at 2500+ rpm. The pathy now actually feels and sounds like a truck. Couldn't be happier... and none of this could be possible without this forum and the coolest cats here.

Take it easy y'all... till next time I'm in trouble! lol

Congrats!! We should have had you take copius notes and pics so you could have done a write-up. Oh well no worries. So you can really tell the difference in power? Is it that noticable? I might need to look into doing this soon.

Got any more details???

as for the dis-coloration: normal time and heat thing....

Here's my order with Nismoparts... They are the 84-89 Z - Euro Cams .392"/264 deg.

It appears there's other guys selling them too for cheaper.. check out the link: http://www.z31performance.com/forum/viewto...6802&hilit=

Also Nismo seems to have specials periodically when you can get everything at employee's cost. 3 days after I ordered them they sent me an email that they're having a St. Patrick's Day special sale. Kinda sucked to see that.

<ORDER DETAIL>

--------------

21200-RS580 : 1 : $53.34 (Nismo Thermostats open at 62 Degrees Celcius)

M- 13001-07P80 : 1 : $152.40

M- 13061-07P80 : 1 : $152.40

13231-V5014 : 12 : $9.82 : 117.81 (Lifters)

-----------------------

Subtotal:$475.95

Shipping:$57.11

Tax:$0.00

Total:$533.06

-----------------------

Thank You for shopping with us,

Nismoparts.com

Your nismo online parts experts!

http://www.nismoparts.com