T-belt Job: Can This Be Done Without Draining Coolant?

robbie

Hi, I started on the T-belt replacement job, however I haven't gotten very far. I can't get either bolts off to drain the coolant from the engine. (I spent 2 days trying everything from PB Blast to buying drain socket wrench to hammering the damn thing.) Can the job be done without draining the coolant from the engine? I imagine the coolant flowing out everywhere once I open up the engine. Please help...

no...put a bucket under the RH side...pull the skid plate and take the lower rad hose loose... theres also a drain plug on the block...after busting 2 cheap rad plugs i just do the lower hose and call it good...makes a lil mess but its ok...

Man, thank you so much! I about to bust an artery over this damn plug.

I was going to give up on the t-belt/camshaft replacement job but I'll keep trying.

Originally from "Post Deleted, Sorry.. I don't know how to delete the post"

Edited by RedPath88
Topics Merged

Dont give up it is really not that hard. Have you printed up the write-up found on this site?

Originally from "Post Deleted, Sorry.. I don't know how to delete the post"

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah I read probably all the write-ups found on this site, but I guess after two days of trying to do step one (the radiator plug) I got discouraged. Well, I finally got the coolant out, but do you know if I need to take out the A/C Condenser? I thought the whole front would be open to work on the belts and change out the camshaft but I guess I have to work between the engine and the A/C Condenser? I'm starting to get a headache again..

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah I read probably all the write-ups found on this site, but I guess after two days of trying to do step one (the radiator plug) I got discouraged. Well, I finally got the coolant out, but do you know if I need to take out the A/C Condenser? I thought the whole front would be open to work on the belts and change out the camshaft but I guess I have to work between the engine and the A/C Condenser? I'm starting to get a headache again..

no no dont pull that...just pull the radiator out with the shrouding and you will have a ton of room...when I get home from work I'll send you a message with some additional help...where are you located anyways?

Edited by unccpathfinder

Ok feel retarded... but I'm stuck again. How do you lift the radiator and fan shroud up? The little connectors from the radiator to the hoses prevents me from lifting it up without the fan shroud. And the fan prevents me from lifting the fan shroud. And there is no room to push the fan shroud toward the engine to clear all those little connectors from the radiator. Do I have to take apart the entire front of the car (AC condenser, the cross frame that holds the headlight and the fenders, and the bottom cross beam that holds up the AC and radiator)?

It's my third day working on this and I'm stuck on step 2 with 50 more steps to go. Maybe I should just tow it to a shop and shell out $2,000 in labor that I was quoted.... I busted a second artery... I feel it.

no no dont pull that...just pull the radiator out with the shrouding and you will have a ton of room...when I get home from work I'll send you a message with some additional help...where are you located anyways?

Oh cool! I'm in Woodland Hills... SoCal.. LA County (San Fernando Valley).

Are you replaceing the actual camshafts?? Or the camshaft seals? If your just changing the seals then once you take our the radiator you have enough room to work on everything trust me. How far have you gotten now? If you have had trouble with the radiator dont get discouraged when you get to the crankshaft bolt just post up your progresss and somebody will be here to help ya out. I will keep checking this thread periodically as I dont have much goin on right now.

No no, the fan shroud is in two pieces look down around the middle and it should be clipped together I got underneath and unclipped it then just jiggle it around and you should be able to get it. I know it is frustrating but just keep trying.

No no, the fan shroud is in two pieces look down around the middle and it should be clipped together I got underneath and unclipped it then just jiggle it around and you should be able to get it. I know it is frustrating but just keep trying.

Sweet! Thank you! That makes sense. It shouldn't be a problem then.

As far as the job I bought Euro spec camshaft and was all gung-ho about doing that job with the T-belt change. But I'm now thinking maybe I'll be happy just getting this T-belt thing done. I think getting under the car without any room to move is making me feel like I'm a blind man just fumbling around cramped spaces. I hope once I find some space to work the tools freely I might get some renewed confidence to tackle the camshaft replacement.

Thanks again! You saved me!

Oh, and I have a '94 Pathfinder

Edited by robbie

Ok glad you have calmed down a bit. Once you get teh fan shroud out, the radiator out,and the fan and fan clutch off. then you will take off the timing belt covers once those are off everything is exposed and you will see that there is more than enough room to do the t-belt job. As far as the camshaft I have never replaced them so I dont know. How much did you pay for bothyour euro spec cams? Also what else are you changing beside the t-belt?

Ok glad you have calmed down a bit. Once you get teh fan shroud out, the radiator out,and the fan and fan clutch off. then you will take off the timing belt covers once those are off everything is exposed and you will see that there is more than enough room to do the t-belt job. As far as the camshaft I have never replaced them so I dont know. How much did you pay for bothyour euro spec cams? Also what else are you changing beside the t-belt?

Yeah.. there's so much room now.. and I can actually see what I have to work on. I think there's enough room for the camshaft. There's a post here on changing it so I'm relieved about that. I paid around $500 I think for the cams and lifters. And I'm changing EVERYTHING that's recommended for the T-belt job. Wish me luck.

I may be able to help you out this coming weekend if you need it...I would have to run it past the gf who will yell at me b/c my pathy still isnt running and I always work on other peoples stuff but if you really need the help I can see how far of a drive it is..if not I can at least walk you through a good bit of it on the phone if you get stuck

Good luck on the cam job. The t-belt should go smooth the worst part for me was the stupid crankshaft bold. You will know it because you try to losen it and the whole crank turns. Some people have taken out the starter and wedged something in the flywheel so everything does not turn but I did it another way. I can tell ya how if you need it but I have a safety meeting to go to now so maybe a bit later.

Good luck on the cam job. The t-belt should go smooth the worst part for me was the stupid crankshaft bold. You will know it because you try to losen it and the whole crank turns. Some people have taken out the starter and wedged something in the flywheel so everything does not turn but I did it another way. I can tell ya how if you need it but I have a safety meeting to go to now so maybe a bit later.

Thanks. Another question. I got the crankshaft bolt off pretty easily by vicegripping two belts where they cross but do I unbolt all the pulleys? I unbolted the one on the upper left of the crankshaft (as your facing the front of the engine) but stopped there. I don't want to do more work than I need to. I also pulled the fan clutch and the pulley attached to it (I guess that's the water pump?) The write ups here don't seem to clarify how many pulleys to pull out.

Whatever you do dont forget to buy nissan parts like the belt and tensioner...it only cost a few more dollars more than the generic one.

I tried but I only could find belts made by Bando and Tensioner made by NSK. I did get the timing belt made by Nissan.

meh, i get all my belts at kragen's.. never failed me.........

have you peeped at my belt change/pooped motor threads?

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7681&hl=

also, you just have to remove all the belts, the cam sprockets, timing pulley...... and have at it P...

you can just loosen the PS pump, alty and a/c pump.

NSK is pretty good if i recall...I believe you will have to pull both LH and RH cam gears off (they are grooved so they only go on one way just make sure you know that RH is drivers side and LH is pass side...once those are off that will let you access the 4 or 8 bolts holding the back side of the timing belt cover on making it easier to remove the cam seals and cams

if it is going to be a couple of days make sure you keep the lifters good and oiled up so the internal passages dont try out...I'd replace the Tstat while I was that far in and theres some coupling hose that people have had issues with (paging slick) and I would def do the water pump and valve cover gaskets along with the intake gasket...