speedometer dead

Guest philipfrank

Guest philipfrank

the speedo went out on my wifes 95 Pathfinder and the check engine lite came on at the same time. i replaced the speed sensor but it did not help. what do you all think it could be.

The same thing has been happening on my 95XE. A while back the tachometer stopped working altogether....now the speedometer quits from time to time and the check engine light does come on when this happens, but goes back off when the speedometer starts reading the speed again. It's a simple short that's in the wiring for the instrument cluster, that I've been too lazy to rip the entire dashboard off to fix! :oops:

You're issue sounds exactly the same. If so then no need to worry....I think I'm just going to get another instrument cluster if I can't find the short in the wiring.

The same thing has been happening on my 95XE. A while back the tachometer stopped working altogether....now the speedometer quits from time to time and the check engine light does come on when this happens, but goes back off when the speedometer starts reading the speed again. It's a simple short that's in the wiring for the instrument cluster, that I've been too lazy to rip the entire dashboard off to fix! :oops:

You're issue sounds exactly the same. If so then no need to worry....I think I'm just going to get another instrument cluster if I can't find the short in the wiring.

You don't have to "rip the dash apart" to remove the guage cluster. It takes about six or eight screws and half an hour's time.

I think the voltage regulator on the back of your guages has died. The speedo on 93-95 Pathfinders is electronically driven, not cable driven, so it's definitely an electrical problem. Does the fuel guage work still or not?

This problem has been covered in the "Pathfinder Common Problems and Fixes" sticky thread at the top of the Garage forum...

Guest philipfrank

the fuel guage and everything still works. i will try to have the code pulled tomorrow at a local garage. anyone have a part number and price of the voltage regulator. also a pic would help if possible.

i'll check the common problems thread as well. thanks.

Guest philipfrank

i checked the common problems thread and saw no mention of this issue, unless i'm blind. input from you folks would be appreciated and i'll follow thru with the suggestions given me so far and let you know how it works out.

Guest philipfrank

ok, i pulled the instrument cluster and i see nothing on the back that looks like it could be a voltage regulator.

where is the connector to pull the ecu codes?

also, i see some type of pickup devide mounted on the rear diff. could this be the culprit? my local shop says they need to hook it to the "gilbert" machine to tell what is happening which is about 80 bucks.

HELP! :furious:

The thing on the rear diff is for the ABS system.

Let me check around and see what I can find, sorry to have misled you about the info in the FAQ if it isn't in there. It's a big post... ;)

The ECU codes are run by manipulating the ECU itself. There IS a sticky post about that one at the top of the Garage forum.

Problems with your fuel and temp guages are common with the 91 and older trucks. On the back of your cluster is a small box with some wires coming out of it going to different points on the cluster. This is a voltage regulator for the guages and it is known to fail. I got a new one at my local dealer for about $25 and it took about a total of 2 min to replace.

-MrReverse, AC forums

A periodic problem on this vehicle is failure of the Dash Voltage Regulator. The cost to repair the Dash Voltage Regulator is estimated at $31.70 for parts and $58.50 for labor.All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

-MSN Autos: 1990-1995 Pathfinder V6 models

I haven't found any specific part numbers listed, but I KNOW there used to be a fix-it How-To page on the web somewhere with pics. I just can't find it right now. Call or visit your local Nissan dealer and see if you can't get the part number looked up. Apparently it's a real easy fix if you can use a Philips screwdriver. :) I'll add this to the sticky post on Common Problems.

Guest philipfrank

thanks, i pulled the cluster and did not see a box of any kind with any wires coming out of it. the only things there are plug in's to the cluster and bulb mounts.

any pics would be helpful. i will also talks to the dealer parts folks.

Guest philipfrank

thanks for the info.

question: if the voltage regulator is bad, wouldn't it affect more than just the speedo?

thanks for the info.

question: if the voltage regulator is bad, wouldn't it affect more than just the speedo?

it would affect different things differently depending on how sensitive the paticular item is to voltage changes ... for instance, the speedo may be more sensitive than just an oil pressure guage ...