Sway Bar Quick Disconnects

arcano

I am looking for some more articulation for my R50 when on the trail, but since this is my daily driver I also want to keep it safe on the road.

Based on what I found on previous posts and on the internet, I am thinking about removing the rear sway bar altogether, and getting some type of quick disconnect for the front. Would this work? Also, can the truck be driven with the rear and/or front sway bar links removed and the sway bars in place but "disconnected"? Can driving the truck like that cause any problems? Can the sway bar be somehow "secured" while the sway bar links are disconnected so it does not bang around?

I found an old but very specific write-up about using JKS Quick Disconnects for a Jeep XJ, but I also found some posts saying the front sway bar, when left disconnected, bangs on different suspension parts and can cause some damage, so using the JKS Quick Disconnect was not recommended. If that is the case, then any solution that disconnects the front sway bar links without fully removing the front sway bar would have the same problem, right?

Has anyone come up with any other way for getting more off-road articulation without affecting road performance and safety?

I am looking for some more articulation for my R50 when on the trail, but since this is my daily driver I also want to keep it safe on the road.

Based on what I found on previous posts and on the internet, I am thinking about removing the rear sway bar altogether, and getting some type of quick disconnect for the front. Would this work? Also, can the truck be driven with the rear and/or front sway bar links removed and the sway bars in place but "disconnected"? Can driving the truck like that cause any problems? Can the sway bar be somehow "secured" while the sway bar links are disconnected so it does not bang around?

I found an old but very specific write-up about using JKS Quick Disconnects for a Jeep XJ, but I also found some posts saying the front sway bar, when left disconnected, bangs on different suspension parts and can cause some damage, so using the JKS Quick Disconnect was not recommended. If that is the case, then any solution that disconnects the front sway bar links without fully removing the front sway bar would have the same problem, right?

Has anyone come up with any other way for getting more off-road articulation without affecting road performance and safety?

Remove both sway bars, and get wider wheels/tires. :)

I've been running with no swaybars on my rig for 4 years, and although it exhibits more roll, it still handles quite well.

And yes, you're correct by stating that there are no [safe] swaybar disconnection methods that will work on the R50.

well, my buddy with an old Jeepster has no sway bars, and what he decided he would do is sacrifice his ride quality. he opted for the rancho adjustable shocks, so when driving on the road he dials them up for a bit stiffer shock to reduce body roll, then dials them back down for the trail......just an idea....