Problem Starting?

rennwerkes

Need some insight into this problem.

My 91 5spd refused to start yesterday after running into town (about 12 mile drive).

Turn the key, no solenoid click, just some small clicking noises.

Checked the battery out and charging system, no problem.

Is there a safety switch on the clutch pedal that can do this?

Also understand there's a relay near the battery that may be also the culprit?

Thanks!

Most of the time if the starter just clicks a few times it's the starter. Mine did that when it died, just started clicking but not turning over. The brushes were shot.

Could be: solenoid relay and wiring, starter, battery cables corroded or loose.

I'm nearly sure it's not the solenoid. The 'clicking" is something else. I'm guessing it might be one of the relays (or hoping more like it!)

Looks like I should check all my connections at the battery first. I think there are a bunch of plastic connectors there.

The starters are really easy to get out of a stock 'finder (especially your first time).... NOT. When I replaced my starter a couple months ago, it was $300 something, and it didnt even fix the problem, my problem was a bad connection at the ignition switch.

There seems to be a few different problems relating to not starting, make sure you research it to pinpoint what exactly your problem is.

Edited by eglaisi_91pathy

The starters are really easy to get out of a stock 'finder (especially your first time).... NOT. When I replaced my starter a couple months ago, it was $300 something, and it didnt even fix the problem, my problem was a bad connection at the ignition switch.

There seems to be a few different problems relating to not starting, make sure you research it to pinpoint what exactly your problem is.

Good advice.

I'm going to give it a go when I get some time over the weekend.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Here's an update on my problem.

Got under the pedals today and noticed a hole right where the push button for the safety switch is supposed to hit. It's actually a bit off centered so normally the switch makes contact with metal. I'm guessing that because of the side to side play that the clutch pedal has that the switch sometimes was slipping into this hole. I covered it up with some cardboard and duct tape and all seems good. But is there supposed to be a rubber stopper there? Couldn't find anything on the floor.