Catalytic Converter Burned Hole Through Floorboard? Now I Have A Snowblower...

alterbr33d

I have a bone stock 1994 Pathfinder. I was traveling up an interstate with a considerable grade for about a half hour and all of a sudden my carpet was completely on fire and white smoke was rushing out of my window.

I stopped to put out the fire, and discovered a hole was made right before the gas pedal. I am not much of a car person, but is the catalytic converter right below that area? What should I do?

Some clues: I get less than 10mpg, I can't keep up with 4 cylinder cars on the highway, and I was also once doing some light offroading and hit somewhere in the bottom left area of the vehicle. I think maybe it got damaged restricting airflow, and separated from the exhaust system a little. :crossedwires:

I mean in the winter this thing will piratically turn into a snow blower with the exhaust blowing snow up right below my feet. :itsallgood:

I have a bone stock 1994 Pathfinder. I was traveling up an interstate with a considerable grade for about a half hour and all of a sudden my carpet was completely on fire and white smoke was rushing out of my window.

I stopped to put out the fire, and discovered a hole was made right before the gas pedal. I am not much of a car person, but is the catalytic converter right below that area? What should I do?

Some clues: I get less than 10mpg, I can't keep up with 4 cylinder cars on the highway, and I was also once doing some light offroading and hit somewhere in the bottom left area of the vehicle. I think maybe it got damaged restricting airflow, and separated from the exhaust system a little. :crossedwires:

I mean in the winter this thing will piratically turn into a snow blower with the exhaust blowing snow up right below my feet. :itsallgood:

Your catalytic converter is clogged and needs to be replaced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAGNAFLOW-D...8QQcmdZViewItem

You also need to check your vehicle over thoroughly for other rust issues.

Edited by GhostPath

You seem to have a leak in the flange right behind the "Y" pipe and immediately before the cat. When that flange leaks it tends to send the superheated exhaust strait to the thin steel under your feet. Mine leaked bad for a while.(I burned the hell outa the heel on my right shoe) I just welded a heat shield over the flange to redirect the hot gasses till I had the time to actually fix the problem. I'd suggest getting someone to hold their hand over the tailpipe when the truck is cold and first cranked up, while you crawl under the truck and listen for leaks. A leak bad enough to burn your carpet should be pretty loud under their. The new gasket is cheap compared to a new cat.

Not necissarily a clogged cat. Mine had the same thing happen and there's lots of post on this issue on 90-95 (possibly even on the 86.5 to 90). The flange at the Y starts leaking and heats up the floor. If left alone, A. on a long drive the floor heats hot enough to cause a problem or B. the floor rusts out due to heating of the metal and eventualy catches fire.

I just fixed mine with a piece of sheet metal and did a heat sheild with a piece of aluminium and two angle brakets as a backup incase the flange ever leaks again.

Yeah, I read through the post quickly and missed the low gas mileage and sluggish bit ....however he mentions hills and such.....so the question is is it harder on fuel on a regular basis or just that trip?

I agree tho, those sympthoms on a regular bassis give impression of a plugged cat.

There's mention of 4x4 trip and something hitting under the vehicle.....The underneath should definately checked for damaged exhaust system components, specialy if the problem started right after....This being said.....that trip could have loosened that flange even more causing the excessive heat.

Long story short. I there needs to be more looking into and more input.

yup, a leak before the O2 sensor wouldnt cause poor milage and ****** power... :stickwack: :tonguefinger:

Last I looked, the O2 sensor for a WD21 is AHEAD of that flange - so the leak is AFTER the sensor.

Minus 50 Car Guy Points for you. :stickwack: :tonguefinger: :stickwack: :tonguefinger:

Edited by GhostPath

Hey thanks guys. Sounds like what you guys are talking about is the problem, perhaps I'll post some pics of the areas you guys are talking about.

They catalytic converter could also be clogged,

My Pathfinder was only $1,000 (kellyblue book is says $3,000) so I don't exactly care if I put it through a lot.

Last I looked, the O2 sensor for a WD21 is AHEAD of that flange - so the leak is AFTER the sensor.

Minus 50 Car Guy Points for you. :stickwack: :tonguefinger: :stickwack: :tonguefinger:

The O2 sensor is about 1.5" down from that flange on my pathy. It's right between the flange and the cat. Makes taking the bolt out a PITA.

So we're gonna have to give him back a few Car Guy Points and take 50 of yours... From reading your other posts you've probably got plenty left over. :itsallgood:

Hey thanks guys. Sounds like what you guys are talking about is the problem, perhaps I'll post some pics of the areas you guys are talking about.

They catalytic converter could also be clogged,

My Pathfinder was only $1,000 (kellyblue book is says $3,000) so I don't exactly care if I put it through a lot.

As long as you kept the engine running I don't see any water getting in there. Even if you have a leaky flange the exhaust pressure would keep water out. Have to looked for a kink in the pipe from whatever you hit?

I just had a clogged cat in my 95. I ended up snapping the pipe right ahead of it, due to too much backpressure on a trail, in 4LO, 1st gear. Gave it some gas to bump up a rock face, and she snapped. I had poor mileage, and terrible power. I went from the manifolds back, all stainless, high flow and have MUCH more power, and far better mileage now.

I had the flange leak in Old Red, and the hole in the floor. I also have a very small hole in the floor of my current truck that I still have to fix. It seems, over the years, even without the flange leak, the hole can appear, due to the heat of the exhaust passing right beside the drivers footwell in close proximity.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is, there may be nothing wrong with your exhaust, and quite simply you have a hole in your floor, and the carpet caught fire. Pulling up a long hill will get things nice and toasty under there in anyone's truck.

If the symptoms of low power and bad mileage have been ongoing, then I'd go with the guys who suggested the cat.

Well I don't know about the mileage problem but I had the exact same problem happen to me. I was on my way home from California and the truck smelled like something rubber was burning. It turned out to be the same spot yours is. Upon inspection, the bolts for the flange on the "Y" collector had become loose and it was shooting all the hot gasses straight up to the floorboard. My fix was a new gasket and two new bolts, I haven't had a problem since. I don't believe that the mileage problem is related to the exhaust leak. I hope this helps a bit.

Dirkin